Sundance Unveils Premieres, Midnight, Spotlight Films With Jack Black, Jeremy Renner, Cate Blanchett
As was on display with the Competition lineup unveiled last week, there’s plenty of timely social commentary on screen like Dee Rees' 'Mudbound,' set in the post-World War II South and revolving around a black and white family pitted against one another.
'Westworld' Showrunners Explain Violent Finale, Set Up Season 2's Expanding World
"We never had any intention of staying in one place. We don't want to shoot on the same sets for 10 years. We want to blow the sets up and move onto another piece of the story," co-creator Jonathan Nolan tells THR.
Oscars: Jimmy Kimmel Pick a Sign of ABC Flexing Its Muscles in Wake of New Academy Deal
THR's awards analyst says the extention to ABC's TV rights deal with the Academy, reached back in August, may have come with an implicit understanding that the network's late-night star finally would get his shot.
'The Accused' Oral History: A Brutal Rape Scene, Traumatized Actors and Producers' Fights to Make the Movie
Jodie Foster, Kelly McGillis, Sherry Lansing and others reveal the epic backstory of the 1988 film that gave voice to sexual assault victims.
- Bertolucci Responds to Outrage Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Rape Scene Confession
- Savannah Guthrie Talks TV News in Trump Era
- Van Williams, TV's Green Hornet, Dies at 82
- Netflix Content Chief Ted Sarandos Takes Shot at Amazon Studios: They Aren't "Gaining Much Traction"
- Leslie Moonves Says Its Early Days for Figuring Out Whether CBS Should Merge With Viacom
- WGA TV Nominations Include 'Westworld,' 'This Is Us' and 'Stranger Things'
Never miss a story. Stay up-to-date with THR's Today in Entertainment newsletter.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Interviews Denzel Washington and Viola Davis on Race, Family and 'Fences' in the Trump Era
Actress Roundtable: Emma Stone, Natalie Portman, Taraji P. Henson and 4 More on Stage Fright, Onscreen Rape and How to Research Playing a Crack Addict
Megyn Kelly Gets Candid: "Dangerous" Roger Ailes, Her Trump Saga, That Offer and Why She Won't Call Herself a Feminist
A December To-Do List for Film Buffs in L.A.
Movie lovers tired of awards bait can check out a Kubrick classic, a Leonard Cohen concert film or an early Jim Jarmusch this holiday season in L.A.
- 'Prison Sisters': Film Review | IDFA 2016
- 'Beverly Hills Cop': THR's 1984 Review
- ‘Tamara and the Ladybug’ (‘Tamara y la Catarina'): Film Review
- Jessica Chastain Hopes 'Miss Sloane' Affects Society's Perception of Women: "We're Allowed to Be Ambitious"
- Michael Shannon Is a Jealous Man in Paris in 'Frank & Lola' Scene (Exclusive Video)
- Emma Watson Signs With CAA
'Westworld' Star Explains Tragic Finale Reveal, Season 2 Status
'Westworld' Finale Ends With a Bang, Sets Up Broader World for Season 2
'Westworld': 17 Burning Questions After the Season Finale
'This Is Us': Ranking All the Emotional Twists So Far
'Walking Dead' Star Chandler Riggs on Carl's Eye-Opening Tour of Negan's World
CBS and Oprah Winfrey Team for Michelle Obama Interview Special
'Designated Survivor' Makes Another Showrunner Change (Exclusive)
Marvel's 'Luke Cage' Renewed for Second Season at Netflix
Alec Baldwin's Trump Can't Stop Tweeting During National Security Briefing on 'SNL'
Jennifer Aniston Asks Vanessa Bayer to Stop Impersonating Her 'Friends' Character Rachel on 'SNL'
'Good Girls Revolt' Canceled at Amazon; Will Be Shopped Elsewhere
Fox Backtracks on Skipping January TCA
Discovery CEO Eyes Direct-to-Consumer Push, Lauds TLC's Focus on Middle America "Starving" for Content
David Zaslav at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference in New York also vows a record 2016 and 2017 and says the company could operate fewer networks down the line.
Sky Executive Touts Original Programming, Says Firm Is "Partner of Choice" for Content Companies
The company, in which Fox owns a 39 percent stake, presented at the UBS Global Media and Communications Conference, while James Murdoch said there was no decision on what to do with the conglomerate's stake.
N.Y. Times Nabs Over 200,000 New Digital-Only Subscriptions Since Election Day, CEO Says
Trump headed to the White House has been good for business at the Grey Lady.
Digital, TV Ad Trends in Focus at UBS Conference
As forecasts say digital will overtake TV spending in the U.S. in 2017, industry prognosticators and CBS' research chief discuss momentum and the role of Google and Facebook.
- Bob Iger to Attend Trump's Policy Forum at White House
- WME-IMG Lays Off 15 Percent of UFC Employees
- Ticketmaster, StubHub and the Battle Over the Future of Ticket Pricing
Actor Roundtable: Jeff Bridges, Casey Affleck and 4 More on "Brutal" Superhero Roles, Dream Second Careers
Six contenders — also including Mahershala Ali, Andrew Garfield, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Dev Patel — on what it takes to play a real-life person, making a drug dealer likable, turning down parts and the agony of acting: "The very thing you love is the thing you hate."
Guillermo del Toro to Be Honored by Sound Editors
He will receive the Filmmaker Award at the MPSE Golden Reel Awards.
Hailee Steinfeld to Host and Perform at Billboard Women In Music 2016
The Dec. 9 event in New York will honor Madonna, Shania Twain, Kesha, Meghan Trainor and Halsey, among others.
Billboard Music Awards 2017 Show Date Announced
The show will air May 21 on ABC.
- Bob Dylan Writes Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech, Patti Smith to Sing
- Kennedy Center Honors: Al Pacino, the Eagles, James Taylor Among Those Feted
- Hollywood Reporter Wins Best Publication, Website at National Arts & Entertainment Journalism Awards
- 'American Honey,' 'Under the Shadow,' 'I, Daniel Blake' Win Big at British Independent Film Awards
- 'Moonlight' Named Best Picture by L.A. Film Critics
- Larry King and Brett Ratner Honored by American Jewish Historical Society
- 'The Jungle Book,' 'Rogue One' Advance in Visual Effects Oscar Race
- Oscars: 'Jungle Book's' Jon Favreau on How to Get Animals to Speak Convincingly (and 7 More Director Secrets)
This Week’s Issue
Race, Family and the Trump Era
Denzel Washington and Viola Davis bring 'Fences,' the 'King Lear' of African-American plays, to film as a 33-year-old piece of art about "this tyrannical cycle" of prejudice in America takes on sudden urgency.
- Will Amazon Go Global to Challenge Netflix?
- Inside Steven Mnuchin's Hit-and-Miss Path From Hollywood to Treasury Secretary Pick
- Meet Steven Mnuchin's Actress-Author Fiancee
- MTV's New Chief on His Strategy to Lure Millennials
- 'Rogue One' Writer Tony Gilroy to Make Millions Off Reshoots
Everything You Need to Know About the 2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
Bella Hadid was serenaded by her ex The Weeknd, Olivier Rousteing sat front-row and Yolanda Hadid was one proud mama.
- Mani Monday: Nail Salon MiniLuxe Opens in Brentwood, Aims for Fair Wages for Workers
- About Last Weekend: Jessica Chastain Opts for Black and White; Jennifer Hudson Is a Glowing Goddess
- Michelle Obama Wore Festive Gucci Frock to Final Kennedy Center Honors
- The Haim Sisters Co-Design New Year's Eve Collection for Reformation
Sheer, Short and Shiny: The Best Looks From the Victoria's Secret Afterparty
2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in Paris Hair & Makeup and Backstage
About Last Night: Rihanna Goes Sporty in Fenty x Puma; Katy Perry's Winter White
Hollywood Hearts Dior
Haute (Hollywood) Holidays
All the Looks from Marion Cotillard's 'Allied' Press Tour
Exclusive Portraits of Rachel McAdams, Tracee Ellis Ross and More With Their Beauty Experts
High Slit Highlights
The Best and Worst Dressed at the AMAs
Madonna Gives Provocative Interview With Elizabeth Banks on Everything From the Election to Ageism
"Women hate women," the newly-crowned Billboard 'Woman of the Year' told Banks of voters who supported Trump.
Lady Gaga Reveals She Suffers from PTSD: "I've Never Told Anyone That Before"
Oakland Warehouse Fire Death Toll Grows to 36
Grammy Predictions 2017: Who Will Score the Major Nominations?
Lin-Manuel Miranda Teases Songs From Second 'Hamilton Mixtape'
Oakland Warehouse Fire: Names of 7 Victims Released
Earth, Wind & Fire and Nile Rodgers Accept Top Honors at Ebony Power 100 Gala
Chart: Hot 100
Rae Sremmurd Featuring Gucci Mane
The Chainsmokers Featuring Halsey
The Weeknd Featuring Daft Punk
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: 'Fantastic Beasts' Star Alison Sudol Goes From Indie Musician to Mind-Reading Witch
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: Joe Alwyn, From Film Student to Star of 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk'
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: 'Good Girls Revolt' Star Genevieve Angelson Is Really Just a "Free-Love Hippie"
'The Bodyguard': Theater Review
R&B star Deborah Cox headlines this musical adaptation of the hit 1992 Kevin Costner-Whitney Houston film, featuring 16 songs originally recorded by the late singer.
Rust Belt Drama 'Sweat' Sets Broadway Move
The topical new play by Pulitzer winner Lynn Nottage, about Pennsylvania steel workers battling the tough economic tide of globalization, will open at Studio 54 in spring.
'Dear Evan Hansen': Theater Review
Ben Platt stars as a painfully insecure teenage outsider whose life is transformed by an inadvertent lie in this new emo-musical with a score by 'La La Land' lyricists Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.
'A Bronx Tale': Theater Review
Robert De Niro and Jerry Zaks co-direct this musical version of Chazz Palminteri's one-man play about growing up in an Italian-American neighborhood, also turned into a 1993 film.
'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' Advances Broadway Plans
Producers of the two-part play, a smash hit on London's West End, are in negotiations to open a New York production in spring 2018 in the refurbished Lyric Theatre.
- 'Ride the Cyclone': Theater Review
- Oakland Arts Community Reels From Warehouse Fire: "This Is a Nightmare"
- How Donald Trump's Private Plane Compares to Air Force One
YouTube Plans Christmas Special Starring Mariah Carey, Rudy Mancuso
'The Keys of Christmas' will feature performances by Ciara, DJ Khaled and Fifth Harmony.
CBS Sues YouTuber for Posting Episodes of 'The Andy Griffith Show'
Sixteen episodes of the series were posted online without permission, according to the suit.
4D Cinema Firm CJ 4DPlex Takes Aim at Virtual Reality Market With Simuline "Merger"
The company also wants to grow its theme park presence.
How a Canadian Oliver Stone Fan Rescued the Director's Dot-Com Web Domain
The namesake site has been returned to the 'Snowden' director after being allowed to expire, shedding light on the perils of celebrity cyber-squatting.
- Megan Ellison's Annapurna Pictures Launches Video Game Division
- Snapchat vs. Instagram: Who's Copying Whom Most?
- Fandango Purchases Latin American Ticketer Cinepapaya