Critic's Notebook: How HBO's 'The Young Pope' Is Fooling Us All
Yes, it's weird and funny and perfect meme fodder, but the HBO series starring Jude Law as an unconventional American pontiff has deeper issues on its mind.
As Michael Lynton Exits, Will Sony Double Down on Hollywood or Sell?
One rumor holds that Sony may finally be ready to part with either all or part of its entertainment assets, with CBS' Leslie Moonves angling to buy.
Watch Hollywood Reporter's Full, Uncensored Director Roundtable With Mel Gibson, Denzel Washington and More
THR's Director Roundtable brings together Mel Gibson, Denzel Washington, Damien Chazelle, Barry Jenkins, Oliver Stone; THR Roundtables air every Sunday on SundanceTV.
TV Ratings: NFL Playoff Nabs 48.5 Million Viewers, Best Telecast Since Super Bowl
Fox's afternoon Packers-Cowboys game brings a stunning all-time high for a NFC divisional playoff.
- Lee Greenwood: It's a "Mistake" for Performers to Bail on Trump's Inauguration (Q&A)
- TCA Winter Press Tour Day 11 Quotes: Ken Burns Brings Trent Reznor to PBS
- Box-Office Pileup: Three Major Films Crash and Burn in Same Weekend
- Fox News Alum Monica Crowley Passes on Trump White House Job Amid Plagiarism Charges
- 'Fresh Off the Boat' Author Eddie Huang Responds to Steve Harvey's "Upsetting" Jokes About Asian Men
- Revelers and Rally-Goers to Clog D.C. for Trump's Inauguration
Never miss a story. Stay up-to-date with THR's Today in Entertainment newsletter.
This Week’s Issue
Deal (Or No Deal) 2017
Shari Redstone puts the brakes on Viacom-CBS, AT&T awaits The Donald, Lionsgate and Starz say "I do": inside the wild scramble from Hollywood to Silicon Valley for size (and smarts) as the stakes get higher and the signposts blurrier. Says one banker, "It's going to be a rambunctious M&A market."
- Michael Wolff on Shari Redstone: Yes, She Does Have a Plan for Viacom
- Hollywood's Merger Mania: Inside the Studios' "Size Anxiety," Scramble to Match Silicon Valley
- A Dead Kangaroo, a Bleeding Pig: Hollywood's Top Animal Training Firm Hit With PETA Abuse Claims (Exclusive)
- Megyn Kelly, Greta Van Susteren Moves Force Fox News to Go Trumpier
- Martha MacCallum Steps Up as Fox News' (Only) Female Primetime News Anchor
Isabelle Huppert Receives French Film Award From UniFrance
The Golden Globe best actress winner was honored for her promotion of French cinema around the world.
- Berlin: Netflix's 'Chef's Table' Episodes to Premiere in Festival's Culinary Cinema
- Christopher Reeve's Superman Costume, Michael Keaton's Batsuit Up For Auction
- Cannes: Pierre Lescure to Stay on as President Through 2020
- 'Fences' Executive Producer Launching New Production Company (Exclusive)
- Tencent Partners on China Release of 'La La Land'
- Watch Wanda Chairman Wang Jianlin Sing for His Staff at Corporate Gathering
'The Young Pope' Creator on Parallels to Donald Trump — and All Those Memes
Confirmed With Chicken: Gus Fring Is Coming to 'Better Call Saul'
'Sherlock' Ends Season 4 With U.K. Ratings Low, BBC Investigating Leak of Russian Version
AMC and BBC Reteam for John le Carre 'The Spy Who Came in From the Cold' Limited Series
It's Official: 'Portlandia' Renewed for Eighth and Final Season
Dakota Fanning to Star in TNT Drama Series 'The Alienist'
Louis C.K., Albert Brooks Animated Comedy Moves From FX to TBS With Series Order
'Big Little Lies' an Important Step for Women, Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman Say
Donald Trump Attacks 'SNL' Again: "Really Bad Television!"
Alec Baldwin Returns as Trump in 'SNL' Cold Open to Talk "Golden Showers," "Fake News"
AMC Greenlights James Cameron Docuseries About the Evolution of Sci-Fi
TNT's 'Good Behavior' Scores Season-Two Renewal
South Korean Prosecutors Seek Arrest of Samsung Vice Chair
Jay Y. Lee is accused of bribery, entangling the world's largest smartphone maker in the Asian country's snowballing corruption scandal.
WME-IMG Signs CrossFit
The fitness brand has an estimated 4 million-plus adherents worldwide.
Rep Sheet Roundup: UTA Signs Singer-Turned-Chef Kelis
THR’s at-a-glance look at the week in representation news
Facebook to Test Fake News Filtering in Germany
The social media giant has announced a series of measures to curb online disinformation ahead of Germany's national election later this year.
LA Film Critics Association Awards: Big Night for 'Moonlight,' Other Indie Darlings
Supporting acting winners Mahershala Ali and Lily Gladstone gave emotional acceptance speeches, director winner Barry Jenkins spoke about the importance of "representation" and career achivement honoree Shirley MacLaine brought down the house with her remarks.
Palm Springs Film Fest: 'Toni Erdmann' Named Best Foreign-Language Film; 'When We Rise' Wins Audience Award
'When We Rise,' Gus Van Sant and Dustin Lance's Black's ABC miniseries about the gay rights movement, won the audience award for best narrative feature.
Publicist to Academy: Don't Ban Us From Oscar Nominations Announcement (Guest Column)
A longtime awards consultant expresses her disappointment in the Academy, which no longer will unveil its nominations before a live audience at its Beverly Hills headquarters: "Nomination morning means more to me than the actual Oscars ceremony."
Oscars: New Format to Be Used for Nominations Announcement
This year's nominees will be announced Jan. 24 by Academy members such as Jennifer Hudson and Brie Larson.
- 'Moonlight' Leads Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics' Dorian Award Nominations
- DGA Nominations: 'Lion' Roars, 'Birth of a Nation' Reborn, 'Deadpool' Stays Alive
- Tony Awards 2017 to Return to Radio City Music Hall
- Denzel Washington Honored by International Cinematographers Guild Publicists
Oprah's Wellness Diary: 24 Hours of Healthy Living (and Lots of Gratitude Journals)
The billionaire best-life guru reveals early morning elliptical routine, regular meditation sessions and — yes — "volumes and volumes of gratitude journals."
About Last Night: Janelle Monae's Tuxedo Dress; Jessica Biel's Look of Love
About Last Night: Elle Fanning's Simple Ivory Stunner; Sienna Miller Sparkles in Gucci
The Best-Dressed Dudes at the Golden Globes
See All the Golden Globes After-Party Looks
#CoupleGoals: The Cutest Pairs on the Golden Globes Red Carpet
Golden Globes: The Best Behind-the-Scenes Moments on Instagram
Top 10 Golden Globes Jewelry
Golden Globes: The Worst Dressed
Golden Globes: The Best Dressed
Controversial Michael Jackson Comedy Pulled by Sky Following Criticism From Family
"We set out to take a lighthearted look at reportedly true events and never intended to cause any offense," the company said about the episode of 'Urban Myths' featuring Joseph Fiennes as the late music star.
Sony's AXN Signs Deal for Second Season of 'Asia's Got Talent'
Springsteen Cover Band Catches Heat for Inaugural Event
Green Day Debuts New Anti-Trump Video Screed
Nick Cannon on Ex Mariah Carey's New Year's Eve Flub: "She Got a Little Flustered"
Why Jennifer Holliday Decided Against Performing at Trump's Inauguration (Q&A)
Jennifer Holliday on Performing at Trump Inauguration: "I'm Singing to Welcome the People of America"
Chart: Hot 100
Bad And Boujee
Migos Featuring Lil Uzi Vert
Rae Sremmurd Featuring Gucci Mane
The Chainsmokers Featuring Halsey
The Weeknd Featuring Daft Punk
'The Kite Runner': Theater Review
The stage version of Khaled Hosseini’s best-selling 2003 novel about an Afghan immigrant caught up in the grand sweep of history makes its belated London debut.
'The Present': Theater Review
Richard Roxburgh plays a philandering schoolteacher and Cate Blanchett the love that slipped through his fingers in Andrew Upton's post-perestroika update of Chekhov's first play, which comes to Broadway from Sydney Theatre Company.
Mark Ruffalo Steps Into Broadway's 'The Price'
The Oscar-nominated actor will join the cast of Roundabout Theatre Company's Arthur Miller revival, replacing John Turturro, who has bowed out due to his filming schedule.
Broadway Celebrates New Year With Record Weekly Grosses
'Hamilton,' 'Wicked' and 'The Lion King' all soared past $3 million, with a host of other $1 million-plus earners pushing the overall total close to $50 million for the history-making week.
'Mean Girls' Musical on Track for Fall 2017 World Premiere
Tina Fey is adapting her screenplay with composer husband Jeff Richmond and lyricist Nell Benjamin, while Tony winner Casey Nicholaw is attached to direct.
- Inside the Rock4EB! Fundraiser With Brad Pitt, Sting, Chatty Celebs and a Worthy Cause
- Rob Schneider Under Fire for MLK Tweet Aimed at John Lewis
- Piano Guys Say Their Inaugural Performance Isn't a Trump Endorsement
Donald Trump's Twitter Rant Against John Lewis Sparks 1.5M Mentions
Since the heated response surrounding Trump's tweets, ABC News reports that the president-elect has canceled his visit on Monday to the Smithsonian Museum of African American History and Culture due to "scheduling issues."
President Obama Gives 360-Degree White House Tour During Final Days in Office
The President and First Lady tour nine rooms of the White House in the video created for Facebook.
Gunpowder & Sky Acquires Production Startup Supergravity Pictures
Gunpowder & Sky, which was co-founded by Van Toffler and Floris Bauer, invested in Supergravity in 2015.
Nat Geo WILD Orders Two Digital Series From Mashable (Exclusive)
Both series will make use of archival National Geographic footage.
- Amazon Channels Rolls Out First Curated Subscription, Anime Strike
- France's TF1 and Italy's Mediaset Invest in Multi-Channel Network Studio71
- Jared Leto's Adventures in Wonderland Hires Amazon Veteran as CEO