Hollywood Salaries 2016: Who Got Raises (and Who Didn't), From Movie Stars to Showrunners
There's never been a better time to be a CEO — or a boom operator — but actors, directors and producers may want to start clipping coupons as THR reveals which Hollywood professions are getting richer, why (sniff) you should feel sorry for studio chiefs and who is surviving on $19 million a movie.
Stars Getting Rich Off Fan Conventions: How to Take Home "Garbage Bags Full of $20s"
One effect of superhero culture: a proliferation of fan events where Marvel movie heroes and 'Walking Dead' stars walk away with six figures (more than most get paid for their real jobs) for a weekend's work.
Netflix's Poaching of Fox Employees Could Set New Legal Precedent
The streaming company has claimed that employees under contract are free to leave at any time, but labor experts say that rules are unclear.
Michelle Pfeiffer, Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, Judy Dench Board 'Murder on the Orient Express' (Exclusive)
Kenneth Branagh is starring in and directing the adaptation of Agatha Christie's classic tale.
- TV Ratings: 'Code Black' Unmoved in Return, 'Empire,' 'SVU' and 'Black-ish' Lead Postpremiere Drops
- Johnny Depp in Talks to Star in 'Murder on the Orient Express'
- 'Amanda Knox': Film Review
- National Amusements Proposes Viacom, CBS Reunion, Cites "Substantial Synergies"
- Box-Office Preview: Can 'Miss Peregrine's Home' Evict 'Deepwater Horizon,' 'Masterminds?'
- New Yorkers to Get Special Look at Ang Lee's Hyper-Realistic Football Movie
Never miss a story. Stay up-to-date with THR's Today in Entertainment newsletter.
This Week’s Issue
The 25 Power Authors
Emily Blunt's descent into alcoholic darkness for 'The Girl on the Train,' adapted from Paula Hawkins' novel | The writers who have Hollywood hanging on their every word | Agatha Christie's new plot twist: an attempted comeback
- 'Girl on the Train's' Emily Blunt on Gender Double Standards: "A Woman Is a Drunk, Whereas the Guy's a Partyer"
- Hollywood's 25 Most Powerful Authors 2016
- Stars Getting Rich Off Fan Conventions: How to Take Home "Garbage Bags Full of $20s"
- Hollywood Salaries 2016: Who Got Raises (and Who Didn't), From Movie Stars to Showrunners
- The 25 Most Powerful Business Managers 2016
'Star Trek Beyond' Director Justin Lin Tackling 'Hot Wheels' for Legendary (Exclusive)
Lin and Perfect Storm will also have an option to co-finance the project.
- New 'Birth of a Nation' Posters Recall D.W. Griffith KKK Propaganda Film
- Lee Daniels Planning a Musical About His Life
- Hollywood Flashback: Before Brangelina Split, Pitt and Jolie Played Killer Spouses in 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith'
- 'Paterson' Trailer: Adam Driver Is a Poetic Bus Driver
- Open Road Taps Lejo Pet as Senior VP Acquisitions
- A Man Took One Superhero Photo Every Day for a Year and Created Something Remarkable
HBO Boss on a 'Game of Thrones' Spinoff: "It's About Finding the Right Take"
'Westworld' Creators Explain the Show's Existential Use of Violence and Sexual Assault
'Jessica Jones' Boss on Luke Cage's Carefully Crafted Intro, Season 2 Surprises and 'The Defenders'
Mark-Paul Gosselaar on Training for 'Pitch' and How His Beard Helped Get Him the Part
Phil Lord and Chris Miller Sell 'Escape' Comedy to ABC
'Grey's Anatomy' Star Ellen Pompeo: There's "No Talk" of an End Game
'Empire' Writer Discusses Police Brutality Storyline: "This Is Fast Becoming an Everyday Thing"
Gary Glasberg, 'NCIS' Showrunner, Dies at 50
'Younger' Star Sutton Foster on Liza's Premiere Choice and How Long Her Double Life Can Last
Inside 'You're the Worst's' Timely PTSD Episode
'Imaginary Mary' Episode Count Cut From 13 to 9
'You're the Worst' Renewed for Fourth Season on FXX
CBS, Viacom Stocks Rise After Redstones Call for Merger
National Amusements formally calls for the two entertainment companies to reverse a separation that went into effect at the start of 2006.
BBC Worldwide Increases Stake in 'Ripper Street' Producer Lookout Point to 49 Percent
The deal will allow the commercial arm of the U.K. public broadcaster to support the "next phase of development" of the drama producer.
CBS-Viacom Merger Analyst: "Wall Street Wants Brad Grey's Head"
"Wall Street wants Brad Grey's head for writing off $115 million on an unreleasable film," says Laura Martin of Needham & Co. "You can quote me on that. You can exclamation-point that. We're lost on why that person should keep his job."
Judge Finds Sony-Spotify Agreement to Be Ambiguous in Big Royalties Lawsuit
19 Recordings alleges that "American Idol" stars have been cheated of streaming revenue.
- Donald Trump vs. Hillary Clinton: 5 Ways to Invest Your Money (Depending on Who Wins)
- China’s Sea & Shell Film Picks up Russian Movie 'The Duelist,' Eyes Record
- Gail Berman Talks Viacom Merger, Box-Office Busts and Remakes at THR's Power Business Managers Event
'Deepwater Horizon' Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura on Studios' Self-Destructive Fears and "Abandoning" Young Men
Disney/ABC TV's Ben Sherwood on a 'Star Wars' Series, "Mistakes" in Michael Strahan's 'Live' Exit and Bob Iger's Future
'Magnificent Seven' Producer on Why Westerns Aren't Dead and How Cancer Changed Him
Oscars: Poland Selects 'Afterimage' for Foreign-Language Category
The Polish submission is the ninth for 90-year-old director Andrzej Wajda who has been nominated four times but never won an Oscar.
Oscars: France Selects 'Elle' for Foreign-Language Category
Paul Verhoeven's controversial "rape comedy," starring Isabelle Huppert, premiered at the Cannes Film Festival.
Oscars: Italy Selects 'Fire at Sea' for Foreign-Language Category
The country has chosen the Berlin Golden Bear winner as its entry.
Oscars: Kazakhstan Selects 'Amanat' for Foreign-Language Category
Satybaldy Narymbetov's national epic spans three different eras across two centuries.
- Oscars: Montenegro Selects 'The Black Pin' for Foreign-Language Category
- Oscars: Turkey Selects 'Cold of Kalandar' for Foreign-Language Category
- Artios Awards Unveil 2017 Nominees; Joel McHale to Host L.A. Ceremony
- Tony Awards Sets 2017 Dates
Watch Hollywood Reporter's Full, Uncensored Drama Actor Roundtable With Rami Malek, Cuba Gooding Jr. and More
Watch Hollywood Reporter's Full, Uncensored Drama Actress Roundtable With Jennifer Lopez, Kerry Washington and More
Watch Hollywood Reporter's Full, Uncensored Comedy Actress Roundtable With Ilana Glazer, Gina Rodriguez and More
Paris Day 2: Rihanna's Fenty x Puma; Bouchra Jarrar's Lanvin Debut; John Galliano's Coming Together
THR's senior fashion editor Booth Moore reports on the glitzy comings and goings of Paris Fashion Week.
Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber Split: Their 20 Cutest Red-Carpet Moments
Backstreet's Back (Alright): The Boys' Best Looks Through the Years
Countess Chocula: Fall's Best Chocolate-Colored Beauty Buys
10 Red Carpet-Ready Looks From London Fashion Week
Hollywood's Top 25 Red Carpet Designers 2016: Exclusive Portraits
In His Shoes: A Timeline of Christian Louboutin's Hollywood Hits
Emmys 2016: The Best Behind-the-Scenes Instagrams
See All the Stars at Burberry's First See-Now, Buy-Now Show
Emmy Awards Best Dressed
One Direction's Niall Horan Surprises With First Solo Single "This Town"
The singer also signed a record deal with Capitol Records
'Hamilton' Alum Leslie Odom Jr. to Release Christmas Album
Mary J. Blige Explains Why She Sang to Hillary Clinton During Interview
Barnes & Noble Braces for Bruce Springsteen L.A. Author Signing
Kesha Voices Support for Alicia Machado, Slams Donald Trump: "He Is a Bully"
Sting and Jimmy Fallon Sing Sexy Texts to Each Other on 'Tonight Show'
Benedict Cumberbatch Sings Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" With David Gilmour
Chart: Hot 100
The Chainsmokers Featuring Halsey
twenty one pilots
Major Lazer Featuring Justin Bieber & MO
Let Me Love You
DJ Snake Featuring Justin Bieber
'All the Ways to Say I Love You': Theater Review
Judith Light stars in Neil LaBute's one-person play about a high school teacher who describes a traumatic experience involving one of her students.
Garth Drabinsky Plots Broadway Return With 'Sousatzka'
The Canadian producer who served time for fraud and forgery will try out the new musical next February in Toronto before a planned New York run in the fall.
Kevin Kline Sets Broadway Return in 'Present Laughter'
The two-time Tony winner will return to the Great White Way after a 10-year absence to star in the Noel Coward comedy.
'Nat Turner in Jerusalem': Theater Review
This new off-Broadway drama concerns the leader of the 1831 slave rebellion played by Nate Parker in his acclaimed upcoming film, 'The Birth of a Nation.'
Molly Ringwald to Star in 'Terms of Endearment'
The erstwhile John Hughes teen queen will take on the feisty Texas matriarch played onscreen by Shirley MacLaine in the upcoming stage adaptation.
- 'Birth of a Nation', 'Hamilton' Set In-Theatre Voter Registration Initiatives
- Adolf Hitler Art Installation in Berlin Prompts Call to Police
- How 'Seinfeld' Made Donald Trump's Adviser Rich
'Ouija: Origins of Evil' Actress Annalise Basso Joins Go90 Series 'Cold'
The 10-episode series will premiere Oct. 13 on go90.
'The Bachelor' Season One Comes to ABC's Streaming App
The broadcast network's app will air old seasons of 'The Bachelor' and 'The Bachelorette.'
Lyor Cohen Named YouTube's Global Head of Music
Alejandro Inarritu Plans Virtual Reality Project With Legendary
The director will re-team with cinematogrpaher Emmanuel Lubezki for the experimental VR short.
- YouTube to Live-Stream 6th Annual Streamy Awards
- Selena Gomez Becomes First Instagram User to Reach 100 Million Followers
- Bono Invests in Cancer Testing Startup Color Genomics