Sundance Hot List: 17 Movies That Will Sell
Don't expect another $17.5 million sale like the one for 'The Birth of a Nation,' but Dee Rees' 'Mudbound' and Danny Strong's J.D. Salinger biopic are among the films that already have buyers worked up.
Sundance's New Climate Program Includes Water Docs and a Porno Spoof With "All Sex Removed"
The lineup focuses on movies that explore environmental preservation, a longtime passion of festival founder Robert Redford.
How Brexit Is Boosting Hollywood Productions
"For American productions, Christmas came early," says the head of the British Film Commission and Film London as the U.S. dollar's increased value sees more studios flock to the U.K.
'Is O.J. Innocent? The Missing Evidence': Series Concludes With Debunk of Simpson Son Theory
"I believe [O.J.] did it, and he did it alone," Ron Goldman's father said on the Investigation Discovery docuseries. "He did it with malice and no afterthought."
- Sundance: Grateful Dead Doc 'Long Strange Trip' Goes to Amazon
- Norman Lear: Why Do People Fall For Fake News? (Guest Column)
- Oscars Producer Welcomes Meryl Streep-Like Political Speeches: "Spontaneity Helps These Shows"
- 'This Is Us' Creator Breaks Down Standalone Episode
- Jerry Seinfeld Teams With Netflix for Two Stand-Up Specials, More 'Comedians in Cars'
- Was Lady Gaga Asked to Avoid Politics at Super Bowl Halftime Show?
Never miss a story. Stay up-to-date with THR's Today in Entertainment newsletter.
This Week’s Issue
Deal (Or No Deal) 2017
Shari Redstone puts the brakes on Viacom-CBS, AT&T awaits The Donald, Lionsgate and Starz say "I do": inside the wild scramble from Hollywood to Silicon Valley for size (and smarts) as the stakes get higher and the signposts blurrier. Says one banker, "It's going to be a rambunctious M&A market."
- Michael Wolff on Shari Redstone: Yes, She Does Have a Plan for Viacom
- Hollywood's Merger Mania: Inside the Studios' "Size Anxiety," Scramble to Match Silicon Valley
- A Dead Kangaroo, a Bleeding Pig: Hollywood's Top Animal Training Firm Hit With PETA Abuse Claims (Exclusive)
- Megyn Kelly, Greta Van Susteren Moves Force Fox News to Go Trumpier
- Martha MacCallum Steps Up as Fox News' (Only) Female Primetime News Anchor
Al Gore on His 'Inconvenient Truth' Sequel, Private Donald Trump Talks, "Consoling" Hillary Clinton
At home in Tennessee with the former vice president as he opens up about his Sundance opening-night film, his climate-change crusade, his surprising admiration for Vladimir Putin and environmental discussions with the president-elect: "He was receptive."
- Russia Limits Foreign Ownership of Online Video Services
- China's Huahua Media, Shanghai Film Group Take Stakes in Vin Diesel’s 'xXx' Sequel
- Focus on Women Directors at Hong Kong-Asia Film Financing Forum
- Italy Box Office: Local Films Account for Slight Overall Rise in 2016
- L.A. Italia Fest to Celebrate Dean Martin
- Death Times X: 10 Times Charles Xavier Was Killed Off
Berlin: European Film Market Expands TV Focus
Shondaland Legal Drama From 'Scandal' Writer Lands ABC Pilot Pickup
Jessica Biel Anthology 'The Sinner' Picked Up to Series at USA Network
'The Arrangement' Creator Dodges Scientology Comparisons
'Is O.J. Innocent? The Missing Evidence': Experts Dig Into O.J. Simpson Son Theory
'The Young Pope' Creator on Parallels to Donald Trump — and All Those Memes
Confirmed With Chicken: Gus Fring Is Coming to 'Better Call Saul'
'Sherlock' Ends Season 4 With U.K. Ratings Low, BBC Investigating Leak of Russian Version
AMC and BBC Reteam for John le Carre 'The Spy Who Came in From the Cold' Limited Series
It's Official: 'Portlandia' Renewed for Eighth and Final Season
Dakota Fanning to Star in TNT Drama Series 'The Alienist'
Louis C.K., Albert Brooks Animated Comedy Moves From FX to TBS With Series Order
Sheryl Sandberg: "People Don’t Want to See Hoaxes on Facebook, and We Don't Want to Either"
The social media giant is committed to addressing fake news, the COO tells the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
Univision, Mexico's Televisa Unify Content Development, Production Under Isaac Lee
As chief content officer, he will continue to report to Univision president and CEO Randy Falco and now also to Televisa president Emilio Azcarraga Jean.
Matt Damon on How Beer-Drinking Millennials Can Help Him Fight the Water Crisis
At the World Economic Forum in Davos, the star and Water.org co-founder discusses a cooperation with Stella Artois, but isn't sure "how receptive" studios would be to donate some of their proceeds from his movies.
China's Wanda Plans to Invest Billions More in U.S. Entertainment Despite "Trade Tensions"
The conglomerate's billionaire chairman says in Davos that "trade will be affected by the tension between the two governments," but he doesn't expect to slow his Hollywood buying spree.
- T Bone Burnett, Callie Khouri Partner With Tandem Productions on Miami Music Drama 'Deep City'
- Trump Will Have "Phenomenal Relationship" With Obama, Doesn't Want China Trade War, Says Adviser
- Donald Trump Tweet Mistakes U.K. Woman for Daughter Ivanka
'Awards Chatter' Podcast — Ryan Reynolds ('Deadpool')
The red-hot star reflects on the ups and downs of 25-plus years in the biz, from the indie he calls "one of my favorite movies" to the studio bomb that "just never really understood what it was" to one of 2016's biggest blockbusters ("I was born to play this guy"), which could even land Oscar love ("I can certainly promise one f—ing crazy reaction video").
Grammys: John Legend, Metallica, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban to Perform
James Corden hosts the Feb. 12 awards show at the Staples Center.
David Bowie, Rihanna, Little Mix Score Nominations for 2017 Brit Awards
The U.K. recording industry’s flagship awards ceremony will be held Feb. 22 at London's O2 Arena.
Francis Ford Coppola Winery Sets Partnerships With the Academy, Sundance Institute
Up first, the filmmaker's wine label will pour at the Sundance Film Festival later this week, followed by the Oscars on Feb. 26.
- Thelma Schoonmaker, Janet Ashikaga to Get ACE Career Achievement Honors
- Xavier Dolan's 'It's Only the End of the World' Leads Canadian Screen Award Film Nominations
- Feinberg Forecast: Oscar Standings During a Week of Purgatory
- Robert De Niro Pens Letter to Meryl Streep Praising Golden Globes Speech: "It Needed to Be Said"
- 'Awards Chatter' Podcast — Vince Vaughn ('Hacksaw Ridge')
- LA Film Critics Association Awards: Big Night for 'Moonlight,' Other Indie Darlings
- Palm Springs Film Fest: 'Toni Erdmann' Named Best Foreign-Language Film; 'When We Rise' Wins Audience Award
- Publicist to Academy: Don't Ban Us From Oscar Nominations Announcement (Guest Column)
Snowga? Flexologist? 6 New Hollywood Wellness Terms to Know
From snowshoeing-meets-yoga to professional muscle stretching, THR defines the words and phrases you'll be hearing more of in the new year.
- 'La La Land,' 'Jackie' Among Costume Designers Guild Award Nominees
- 'Fantastic Beasts' Leads Makeup Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Feature Nominations
- Jonathan Simkhai Collaborates With Carbon38 for Athleisure Capsule
- Style Notes: Melania Trump Might Wear Ralph Lauren to Inauguration; Reed Krakoff Joins Tiffany & Co.
About Last Night: Janelle Monae's Tuxedo Dress; Jessica Biel's Look of Love
About Last Night: Elle Fanning's Simple Ivory Stunner; Sienna Miller Sparkles in Gucci
The Best-Dressed Dudes at the Golden Globes
See All the Golden Globes After-Party Looks
#CoupleGoals: The Cutest Pairs on the Golden Globes Red Carpet
Golden Globes: The Best Behind-the-Scenes Moments on Instagram
Tony Orlando to Perform at Inaugural Ball
The "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree" singer is set to perform at Friday night's Salute to Our Armed Services Ball.
Audioslave, Jack Black and More Join "Anti-Inaugural Ball" Hosted by Prophets of Rage
Sam Moore Doesn't Mind Stepping In for Jennifer Holliday at Trump's Inaugural Concert (Q&A)
Shakira Tells World Economic Forum: "I’d Be an Amazing Doctor"
Tupac Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Lands at Lionsgate (Exclusive)
Tim Rushlow, Trump Inaugural Concert Performer, Is Good at "Keeping It Neutral" (Q&A)
Shorty Awards Nominees Include Ryan Reynolds, Kristen Bell, Leslie Jones (Exclusive)
Chart: Hot 100
Shape Of You
Bad And Boujee
Migos Featuring Lil Uzi Vert
Rae Sremmurd Featuring Gucci Mane
The Weeknd Featuring Daft Punk
'The Kite Runner': Theater Review
The stage version of Khaled Hosseini’s best-selling 2003 novel about an Afghan immigrant caught up in the grand sweep of history makes its belated London debut.
'The Present': Theater Review
Richard Roxburgh plays a philandering schoolteacher and Cate Blanchett the love that slipped through his fingers in Andrew Upton's post-perestroika update of Chekhov's first play, which comes to Broadway from Sydney Theatre Company.
Mark Ruffalo Steps Into Broadway's 'The Price'
The Oscar-nominated actor will join the cast of Roundabout Theatre Company's Arthur Miller revival, replacing John Turturro, who has bowed out due to his filming schedule.
Broadway Celebrates New Year With Record Weekly Grosses
'Hamilton,' 'Wicked' and 'The Lion King' all soared past $3 million, with a host of other $1 million-plus earners pushing the overall total close to $50 million for the history-making week.
'Mean Girls' Musical on Track for Fall 2017 World Premiere
Tina Fey is adapting her screenplay with composer husband Jeff Richmond and lyricist Nell Benjamin, while Tony winner Casey Nicholaw is attached to direct.
- George H.W. Bush Hospitalized for Shortness of Breath
- Trump Team Takes Out Inaugural Ads on Social Media
- Nearly 50 House Democrats Plan to Boycott Trump Inauguration
Thrillist Parent Group Nine Media Appoints Richard Beckman, Suzanne Kolb to Executive Roles (Exclusive)
Beckman was previously CRO at Vice Media and Kolb hails from Group Nine investor Discovery.
YouTube Strikes Development Deals With Creators Following Sundance Program (Exclusive)
The streamer will continue to work with Devin Graham, Anna Akana, Jasmeet Singh and pair Allison Raskin and Gaby Dunn with the goal of greenlighting new shows for subscription service YouTube Red.
Vine Stars Pay One Last Tribute as Twitter Shuts Down Video App
Vine is turning into a camera app that will post six-second videos to Twitter.
New Form Releases New Batch of Scripted Pilots (Exclusive)
YouTube stars Arden Rose, Jonah Green and Alexa Losey all have projects as part of this latest incubator program.
- Donald Trump's Twitter Rant Against John Lewis Sparks 1.5M Mentions
- Facebook to Test Fake News Filtering in Germany
- China's Tencent Under Fire for Having Staff Simulate Oral Sex at Company Party