Gavin Polone: Yes, the Media Is Biased — And It's Helping Donald Trump
CNN has the patina of objectivity and is more likely to draw those without a clear agenda — but increasingly it has a subtle point of view too, and it is allowing Trump's correct claims of a "media conspiracy" to legitimize his other craziness, writes the producer and THR columnist.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's Debate Diary: Front Row for Trump's Bluster and Lies
"Watching Trump reminded me of a small child being caught shoplifting a toy," writes the NBA Hall of Famer about attending the Las Vegas showdown as a guest of Hillary Clinton. "Even with the toy discovered shoved down his pants, he continues to cry and stomp his feet about his innocence while accusing his parents of being unfair for making him return the stolen item."
Box-Office Preview: Can 'Jack Reacher 2' Trump 'Boo! A Madea Halloween'?
Supernatural horror offering 'Ouija: Origin of Evil' and comedy 'Keeping Up With the Joneses' also open nationwide.
Carol Burnett to Star in ABC Comedy From Amy Poehler
The multicamera comedy will be written by Michael Saltzman.
- 'Man With a Plan': TV Review
- Al Smith Dinner: Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton's Top Jokes
- SAG-AFTRA Videogame Strike Likely Tonight as Union Blasts ‘Freeloader’ Industry for Refusing Residuals
- Josh Gad Joins Kenneth Branagh, Johnny Depp in 'Murder on the Orient Express'
- HGTV's 'Fixer Upper' Star Couple, Ratings Gold, Are Making Over Reality TV Too
- Joss Whedon Wants to Make a 'Star Wars' Movie
Never miss a story. Stay up-to-date with THR's Today in Entertainment newsletter.
How Ryan Reynolds Became 'Deadpool's' Marketing Rebel
“I’ve never taken ownership like this before," Reynolds says. "I can channel this guy [Deadpool] in a way I just can't seem to channel anything else."
- Bruce Springsteen Says He Wrote a Song for the 'Harry Potter' Films But They Never Used It
- 'Mr. Robot' Actor to Star in Sci-Fi Thriller 'Parallel' (Exclusive)
- AFI Fest Sets 'La La Land' as Centerpiece Screening
- ‘Blue Bicycle’ (‘Mavi Bisiklet’): Film Review | Antalya Film Festival 2016
- Netflix Remake 'Naked' Adds Cory Hardrict (Exclusive)
- ‘Black Crow’ (‘Siyah Karga’): Film Review | Antalya Film Festival 2016
Vine Star King Bach to Topline Fox Comedy From Adam Devine, McG
Amanda Knox-Themed Drama 'Guilt' Canceled at Freeform
TV Land's Keith Cox on Skewing 'Younger' and Expanding Into Drama
'Narcos' Adds Pair of Series Regulars Amid Season 3 Shift (Exclusive)
CBS Orders Summer Event Series 'Salvation' From Alex Kurtzman
'Enemy of the State' TV Sequel Set at ABC
How Laverne Cox Made Dr. Frank-N-Furter Her Own on Fox's 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' Remake
Behind the Scenes of Fox's 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' Remake: Tiny Tweaks, Toronto and Tim Curry
'American Horror Story: Roanoke': Here's What the Big Twist of Episode 6 Is
'The Young Pope' Producers Confirm Second Season of Show
Michael B. Jordan Inks Film, TV Pact With Skydance Media, Sets First Project (Exclusive)
Roger Ailes Miniseries in the Works From Blumhouse Productions
This Week’s Issue
Love in Black & White
"Fifty years is not that long ago — not for this shit to be going down," says Joel Edgerton of 'Loving,' a real-life drama about an outlawed marriage with sudden relevance in today's racially charged election
- How Interracial Romance 'Loving' Became the Most Relevant Movie This Election Season
- NBC's New 'Apprentice' Star Arnold Schwarzenegger Arrives With Trump-Like Baggage
- Michael Wolff on Billy Bush and How the Media Wrung Trump Dry Before Toppling Him
- Warren Beatty's New Movie Has 16 Credited Producers: "It's Deplorable"
- How the Chicago Cubs Could Boost World Series Ratings (and Give Fox a $30M Advertising Windfall)
Sky Touts Originals, Movie Deals at Investor Day, Dennis Quaid Makes Appearance
The European pay TV giant, in which 21st Century Fox owns a 39 percent stake, also discusses Netflix, Amazon and sports rights, among other things.
Verizon "Still Evaluating" What Yahoo Hack Means for $4.83B Deal, CFO Says
The telecom giant's lawyers had a first call with the internet firm on Wednesday in what could be a long process, says Fran Shammo.
Sony Pictures Television Networks Buys Stake in Kids SVOD Service Hopster
The company says it is already one of the top kids broadcasters in the U.K.
Afghan Media Mogul Saad Mohseni on Taking His Moby Group to New Markets and His Hollywood Connections (Q&A)
The mogul, who is getting the International Women's Media Foundation leadership honor for promoting a free press and female journalists, also discusses working with shareholder Fox, the Murdochs and board member Tom Freston.
- MetLife Cuts Snoopy, Peanuts Characters Loose
- Cinépolis to Add More 4DX 4D Cinemas
- The Beatles Move to Dismiss Copyright Suit Over Footage of Famous Concert
Feinberg Forecast: The Lay of the Land After the New York Film Festival
THR's awards expert offers his latest assessment of the race.
British Independent Film Awards 2016: The Breakthrough Producers Long List
A preview of the 15 films and 21 individuals – including a rather familiar face – on the long list for the BIFA's new award for first and second time producers.
British Independent Film Awards 2016: The Debut Screenwriters Long List
A closer look at the 16 titles — and 19 individuals — competing for the five nomination spots in the new category for first-time feature writing talent.
'Return of the Jedi' VFX Pioneer Ken Ralston to Get VES Lifetime Honor
His Oscar-winning work also includes 'Forrest Gump' and 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit.'
- Tom Ford, Marc Platt to Get Honors at Hollywood Film Awards
- Jane Fonda, Laurie MacDonald, Walter Parkes and Jaha Dukureh Selected for Equality Now Honors
- Jon Favreau to Be Honored by Sound Mixers
- 'The Other End' Wins Top Prize at Rio Film Festival
Hillary Clinton Bookends Campaign With Another White Ralph Lauren Pantsuit
The Democratic nominee wore a similar white pantsuit by the designer when she accepted her party's nomination at the DNC back in July.
15 Power Pantsuits That Ruled the Red Carpet
#ImWithHer on the Runway
Tilda Swinton's Wacky and Wonderful Press Wardrobe for 'Doctor Strange'
All The Stars at the Obamas' Final State Dinner at the White House
A Look at Naomie Harris' 'Moonlight' Press Wardrobe
Every Time Michelle Obama Slayed at a White House State Dinner
Fashion Biggest Names Remember Bill Cunningham
About Last Weekend: Beyonce's Sheer Magic; Katy Perry Shimmers
See What All the Stars Wore to Veuve Clicquot's Annual Polo Classic
About Last Night: Halle Berry Suits Up; Milla Jovovich Stands Out in Sequins
Cher Talks Donald Trump, Emojis and 'American Horror Story'
The pop legend's "Classic Cher" residency tour begins Feb. 8 in Las Vegas.
Lady Gaga Reveals Chilling "Angel Down" Lyrics About Trayvon Martin
Usher, Common, The Roots and More to Perform at White House for BET Concert Special
Taylor Swift-Curated Museum Exhibit Coming to New York City
Donald Trump's "Nasty Woman" Comment to Hillary Clinton Spikes Janet Jackson Streams on Spotify
Maverick's Guy Oseary, Live Nation's Heather Parry to Co-Manage Kurt Cobain's Estate
Regina Spektor Gets Close to Her Fans at Truly Intimate Rough Trade NYC Show
Chart: Hot 100
The Chainsmokers Featuring Halsey
The Weeknd Featuring Daft Punk
twenty one pilots
Let Me Love You
DJ Snake Featuring Justin Bieber
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: Joe Alwyn, From Film Student to Star of 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk'
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: 'Moonlight's' Trevante Rhodes Goes From Track Star to Toronto Film Fest
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: 'Independence Day' Actress Maika Monroe Goes From Pro Kiteboarder to Breakout Star
'Tick, Tick... Boom!': Theater Review
The Keen Company stages an off-Broadway revival of the autobiographical chamber musical by 'Rent' composer Jonathan Larson.
'Love, Love, Love': Theater Review
Amy Ryan and Richard Armitage star in this drama by the Tony Award-nominated playwright of 'King Charles III,' chronicling the lives of a couple and their two children over several decades.
'Sell/Buy/Date': Theater Review
Tony Award winner Sarah Jones' new one-person play features characters working in and around the sex industry.
'The Red Barn': Theater Review
Mark Strong plays a New England lawyer dangerously drawn to the widow of his recently deceased friend in David Hare's Georges Simenon adaptation, also starring Hope Davis and Elizabeth Debicki.
Allison Janney, John Benjamin Hickey to Star in 'Six Degrees of Separation' on Broadway
Trip Cullman will direct the spring 2017 revival of John Guare's 1990 play.
- 'The Cherry Orchard': Theater Review
- 'Chris Gethard: Career Suicide': Theater Review
- 'Stuffed': Theater Review
NBCUniversal Investing Another $200M in BuzzFeed
Last year, NBCU dropped $200 million into both BuzzFeed and Vox Media.
One NBA Game Per Week to Get Virtual Reality Live Stream Treatment
The weekly games will be available via the NBA League Pass package.
Singing Competition Series 'Car Star' Coming to Verizon's Go90 (Exclusive)
The show, hosted by Arielle Vandenberg, is the latest in a string of series featuring people singing in their cars.
Donald Trump's Tweet About "Best Friend" Putin Is Most Retweeted From Final Debate
The most tweeted moment from the night was when the candidates discussed the treatment of women.
- 'Star Wars' Tauntaun Costume Steals Halloween, Everyone's Heart
- Julian Assange's Internet Access "Temporarily Restricted," Says Ecuador
- Relativity's $1.5 Billion Lawsuit Offers Rare Peek at Netflix License Agreement