19 Hollywood A-Listers on Why the Oscars Still Matter (and One Who Says They Don't)
Anger, fear, political upheaval — for many, it's tough to get emotional over who wins best supporting actor this year. But as artists, thinkers and public figures testify here, the Academy Awards can be an inspiration to a kid "seeing myself in this world" for everyone from moguls to Matt Damon to 'Hamilton' creator and first-time nominee (for 'Moana') Lin-Manuel Miranda, who shares his lifelong fascination with Hollywood's biggest night.
Paul Feig, Nina Jacobson and 50 A-Listers Reveal New Campaign to Tackle Hollywood Gender Inequality (Exclusive)
Enough talk! Studio and agency insiders, producers, directors and industry leaders reveal ReFrame, a focused and results-oriented push to break entertainment's gender-parity logjam: "This is bigger than the bullshit."
I Was Carrie Fisher's 1978 Oscar Date: Spielberg, Lucas and a 3 a.m. Afterparty With John Belushi
"This is just like prom!" said the 'Star Wars' actress, set up with 27-year-old Tom Coleman, who now recounts their wild night, which included waltzing with Debbie Reynolds and ended at Richard Dreyfuss' apartment.
Oscars Poll: 66 Percent of Trump Voters Turn Off Awards Shows When Speeches Get Political
A THR and National Research Group survey reveals how Clinton supporters and Trump voters view the Oscars differently.
- Brian Robbins to Step Down as AwesomenessTV CEO (Exclusive)
- Bill Maher Takes Credit for Milo Yiannopoulos' Downfall
- Angelina Jolie Lines Up New Acting, Directing Projects (Exclusive)
- Oscars Poll: Two-Thirds of Americans Don't Know Jimmy Kimmel Is Hosting
- Ryan Murphy on Why Oscars Are "the Gay Super Bowl" (Guest Column)
- Oscar Voter Reveals Her Brutally Honest Ballot: Meryl Streep "Like a Clown," 'La La Land' "Not Memorable," 'Arrival' "Just Sucked"
Never miss a story. Stay up-to-date with THR's Today in Entertainment newsletter.
This Week’s Issue
Oscar nominee Ali appears in two best picture contenders and may win for 'Moonlight' as he shares an emotional journey from childhood upheaval to a spiritual awakening to his 'I'm a Muslim' SAG awards speech in the face of Trump's ban
- 'Moonlight' Breakout Mahershala Ali in His Own Words: A Personal Journey From Childhood Upheaval to Spiritual Awakening
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: How 'La La Land' Misleads on Race, Romance and Jazz
- The New Power of "Yes": Who Actually Has Greenlight Authority at the Movie Studios
- New England Patriots Super Bowl Hero's Life Story to Be Told in Biopic (Exclusive)
- Clive Davis' Grammy Party Class Photo: Jennifer Hudson, Chance the Rapper, DNCE and More (Exclusive)
Oscars Poll: 60 Percent of Americans Can't Name One Best Picture Nominee
A THR and National Research Group survey reveals how little the average movie-going citizen knows about this year's Oscars.
- Video Released of Harrison Ford Flying Dangerously Close to Passenger Plane
- 'Logan' Skips the Comic Book Costume — and That's a Good Thing
- Japanese Auteur Seijun Suzuki Dies at 93
- 2017 Costume Designers Guild Award Winners: The Complete List
- Martin Scorsese's 'The Irishman' Heads to Netflix From Paramount
- 'Silence' Producer Accused of Inflating the Value of Assets in Bankruptcy Dispute
Hot TV Trend: Projects Tackling Race
'This Is Us': Sterling K. Brown, Ron Cephas Jones Reflect on "Memphis" Tragedy
BBC Worldwide, ITV SVOD Venture BritBox Names President, North America
'This Is Us' Creator Breaks Down the Show's Cathartic and Tear-Inducing Farewell
Writer of BBC, PBS Newspaper Drama 'Press' Talks Fake News, "Demagogue" Trump
Demi Moore Books Big Recurring Role on 'Empire'
'Game of Thrones' Grad Iwan Rheon to Star in Marvel's ABC Drama 'Inhumans'
Jason Ritter to Star in ABC Drama 'Gospel of Kevin'
All the Official Details (So Far) About Hulu's J.J. Abrams-Stephen King Drama 'Castle Rock'
Tim Robbins to Star in HBO's Alan Ball Family Drama
It's Official: Keith Cox to Lead Paramount Network and TV Land
'The Mick' Renewed for Second Season at Fox
Paramount Seeking Studio Chief, But Who Would Want the Job Now?
Brad Grey's exit comes amid a $450 million loss, a tug-of-war with Viacom's CFO and a plan to impose a "steering committee" to greenlight movies, which may hurt the effort to recruit his replacement.
The New Power of "Yes": Who Actually Has Greenlight Authority at the Movie Studios
Paramount re-evaluates Brad Grey's influence as industry upheavals alter internal politics all over town and committees become the norm. Gripes one producer, "You used to know whom to appeal to — and now you're not sure."
Studio-by-Studio Profitability Ranking: Disney Surges, Sony Sputters
'Rogue One' and 'Captain America' help Disney CEO Bob Iger score a third straight No. 1 ranking with $2.5 billion in profit in 2016, but others face a brutal year in THR's annual breakdown of money at the six majors.
Judge Judy Shopping Her Old Reruns for $200 Million (Exclusive)
In addition to a $47 million CBS salary, Sheindlin also negotiated rights to her repeats, which she's quietly pitching to potential outlets.
- European Court Rules Journalists Must Be Cautious Reporting on Sexuality of Celebrities
- Lakers Fire GM Mitch Kupchak, Put Magic Johnson in Charge of Basketball Operations
- Film, TV Lag Nation’s Diversity at a Cost, Study Finds
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: 'Good Wife' Breakout Cush Jumbo on How Trump's Election Changed the Spinoff's Pilot
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: 'Legion' Star Rachel Keller's Big Break From Food Trucks to 'Fargo'
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: 'Patti Cake$' Star Danielle Macdonald Goes From Lost TV Role to Sundance Breakout
Oscars Week 2017: The Complete Party (and Protest) Guide
From the Spirit Awards and the Night Before Party to Elton John's major milestone and Vanity Fair, get the scoop on all the A-list parties happening in Hollywood to celebrate all things Oscar.
Lin-Manuel Miranda on His Lifelong Oscars Obsession and Why the Show Still Matters (Guest Column)
The 'Hamilton' creator, a first-time nominee (for 'Moana'), gets personal as he recalls his childhood watching "this impossibly larger-than-life thing," his 'Seabiscuit' interpretive dance and the moments he'll never forget ("It was as if she reached through the screen to talk to me").
An Actor's Personal Tale: I Was Thrown Out of the Academy for Sharing VHS Screeners
'Godfather' actor Carmine Caridi, the only AMPAS member to be expelled for sharing screeners, reflects on his Oscar infamy ("I was doing a guy a favor, and he screwed me") and a career that might have been.
Oscar Winner John Irving Urges Hollywood to Get Political With "Outright Bias" in Acceptance Speeches (Guest Column)
The 'Cider House Rules' author, who gave a pro-choice acceptance speech for his 2000 screenplay win, wants winners to speak their mind come Sunday: "In our community, tolerance of intolerance is unacceptable."
- Oscars: Listen to 'Awards Chatter' Podcast Episodes With 22 Nominees
- 'Awards Chatter' Podcast — Kevin O'Connell ('Hacksaw Ridge')
- The Truth Behind the Infamous 2000 Oscar Heist
- An Actor's Personal Tale: I Was Thrown Out of the Academy for Sharing VHS Screeners
Can Politics Move From the Runway to Retail?
“We have one of the greatest opportunities in fashion in a long time," says retail industry analyst Marshal Cohen.
12 NYFW Looks We Want To See On The Red Carpet
See Every Look from Yeezy Season 5
Yellow Is A Major Trend on the NYFW Runways
Grammy Awards: Red Carpet Photos
All the Stars in Calvin Klein's A-List Front Row
The Front Row at New York Fashion Week
See Every Look From Raf Simons' First Calvin Klein Collection
All the Looks from the amfAR Gala
Univision and Deezer Partner to Showcase Emerging Latin Music
'Va Por Ti' season two winner Nayi will be the first artist to be featured on both platforms.
Katy Perry Goes Back to the Future in 'Chained to the Rhythm' Music Video
'Beauty and the Beast': Emma Watson Sings Opening Number, "Belle"
John Oliver Uses Russian Techno Song to Warn Trump About Putin
Oscars: Listen to the Best Original Song Nominees
'Suicide Squad,' 'Star Trek Beyond' Among Winners at Makeup Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Awards
Russell Simmons Headlines NYC Rally Protesting Trump Immigration Policies
Chart: Hot 100
Shape Of You
I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker)
Zayn / Taylor Swift
Bad And Boujee
Migos Featuring Lil Uzi Vert
Chained To The Rhythm
Katy Perry Featuring Skip Marley
'Everybody': Theater Review
Branden Jacobs-Jenkins, the author of such acclaimed plays as 'An Octoroon' and 'Gloria,' delivers an experimental modern riff on the 15th-century morality play, 'Everyman.'
Tom Hanks Plans First Book 'Uncommon Type'
'Uncommon Type,' publishing in October, features 17 short stories about typewriters.
'On the Exhale': Theater Review
Marin Ireland plays a mother devastated by gun violence in Martin Zimmerman's pithy one-person play.
'Evening at the Talk House': Theater Review
A first-rate cast including Matthew Broderick and 'L.A. Law's' Michael Tucker and Jill Eikenberry appear in Wallace Shawn's dystopian drama receiving its New York premiere.
Nick Cannon Threatens National Enquirer With Lawsuit Over Upcoming Article
The piece allegedly questions his mental health and claims ex-wife Mariah Carey will petition for custody of their children.
- Park Service Investigating "Refugees Welcome" Banner on Statue of Liberty
- Michael Moore Presents His "10-Point Plan to Stop Trump"
- Lindsay Lohan Says She Was "Racially Profiled" While Wearing a Headscarf
Disney Digital Studio GM Outlines "Biggest Challenges" In Delivering Quality Cinema Experiences
“The number of color masters would represent a puzzle that I think would challenge Rubik," he said Tuesday at the HPA Tech Retreat.
Facebook in Talks to Live Stream MLB Games (Report)
The social network recently struck a deal with Univision to live-stream Mexican soccer matches.
BAMTech Names Amazon's Michael Paull as CEO
The appointment comes as MLBAM's Bob Bowman steps back from an operational role at the company partially owned by Disney and the NHL.
Digital Stocks Steady Amid Rancor Between Trump and Silicon Valley
Big technology stocks remain unfazed — some have even hit all-time highs since the election — but now the tech industry has to "rethink how to get the ear of the emperor," says SouthBay Research's Andrew Zaitlin.
- Former Uber Engineer Alleges "Horrifying" Sexism in Lengthy Blog Post, Reviving #DeleteUber on Twitter
- A Guide to the MPSE Golden Reel Awards for Sound Editing
- Oscars: 'Silence' Cinematographer Rodrigo Prieto on His Partnership With Martin Scorsese