Hollywood's 50 Favorite Female Characters
No good roles for women? Not always. THR's industry survey shows how Olivia Pope to Annie Hall become possible when the industry actually writes with 51 percent of the population in mind.
Box Office: 'Office Christmas Party' Takes $950K Thursday
The Paramount comedy is the weekend's only new wide release.
Shane Smith Likens Early Obama Years to Trump's 2017 With Vice's 'A House Divided'
The Vice Media CEO also refers to John Boehner, the doc's candid breakout, as "a non-psychopatietic Frank Underwood."
Nanci Ryder's Heartbreaking Battle: As ALS Robs Her of Eating and Driving, Power Publicist Still Curses Like a Sailor
The Hollywood veteran, diagnosed with the progressive neurodegenerative disease in 2014, has given up everything from solid food to shopping and swears only by tapping on an iPad now, but she's still fighting (and fundraising for) ALS as her body fails. Says Bryan Lourd, "She won't let people look the other way."
- 'Shameless' Star Emmy Rossum Demands Equal Pay (and More) for Season 8 (Exclusive)
- It's Human vs. Ape in New 'War For The Planet Of The Apes' Trailer
- Donald Trump "Has a Big Stake" in New 'Apprentice,' Says Transition Team
- Trump's Inaugural Committee Announces Days of Events With 'Make America Great Again!' Slogan
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Trailer Swings Peter Parker Into Action
- 'Today' Co-Anchor Savannah Guthrie Welcomes Second Child
Never miss a story. Stay up-to-date with THR's Today in Entertainment newsletter.
Is the Euro Art House Dying?
Small-budget, challenging European dramas 'I, Daniel Blake,' 'Elle' and 'Toni Erdmann,' are being celebrated at the European Film Awards this year, but are also the type of films finding it harder to get seen.
- Alan Menken Writes "Full-Throated Love Song" for Will Ferrell-John C. Reilly Comedy 'Holmes & Watson'
- 'Bad Moms' to 'Jason Bourne': Which 2016 Films Pass (or Flunk) the Sexism Test?
- Making of 'Hell or High Water': How Ben Foster (Intentionally) Lost a Tooth for His Role
- ‘Carefree’ (‘Befikre’): Film Review | Dubai 2016
- Mel Gibson of 'Hacksaw Ridge': "I Like Telling Stories Where No One Says Anything" | Director Oscar Roundtable
- Berlin: 'Elle' Director Paul Verhoeven 2017 Jury President
'Pitch' Boss on Finale Ending, Potential Summer Run and That Cubs Joke
'Strike Back' Revived for Fifth Season at Cinemax
The Tina Fey Interview, by David Letterman
Geri Wang to Retire as ABC Sales President
'Good Girls Revolt' Creator Slams Amazon Over Cancellation: "They Run Some People Out"
Jenna Bans Family Drama Scores NBC Pilot Pickup
'Westworld' Finale: Ed Harris Talks Through Man in Black Reveal, Season 2 Expectations
'Westworld' Cast and Crew Share Their Best Anthony Hopkins Stories
'Hairspray Live!': What Was Different From the 2007 Movie Musical?
'Good Girls Revolt': Here Are the Networks Eyeing the Canceled Amazon Drama (Exclusive)
Geena Davis' Letter to Hollywood: Want a Female President? Put Them Onscreen First
Whoopi Goldberg to Produce, Possibly Star in Harlem Racial Drama for Bravo (Exclusive)
22 Hollywood Assistants Dish on Biggest Triumphs, Lowest Moments and Craziest Tales
Current and former aides talk about what they do for industry heavyweights — from Julia Louis-Dreyfus to Seth Rogen — as they lean on one another, plot their ascensions and argue (with humor) that they don't just fetch coffee: "Don't be ignorant. There are lunch orders, too."
Sherry Lansing, Dawn Steel and Sue Mengers: When the Broads Faced the Raging Bulls in '70s Hollywood
The '70s were a time of creative fertility in Hollywood, but the renaissance mostly didn't include women until a group of pioneers planted seeds of equality still being sown today.
Writer's Guild Chief Criticizes Trump Over Attacks on Carrier Union Leader
The guild steps in to defend a steelworkers union leader.
Judge Rules 'Midnight Rider' Producer Can't Collect on Insurance Due to Criminal Acts
Film director Randall Miller and producer Jody Savin also are denied a bid to amend their lawsuit to allege bad faith on the part of New York Marine.
- Michael Jackson's Executor, Manager Ordered to Testify in Billion-Dollar Tax Battle
- Viggo Mortensen Signs With UTA (Exclusive)
- 'Rogue One' Debuts China Trailer With New Footage
Director Roundtable: Mel Gibson, Denzel Washington and 4 More on Paralyzing Fears, Cast and Crew Complaints
The contenders — also including Oliver Stone, Barry Jenkins, Damien Chazelle and Mira Nair — discuss first gigs, the backlash over 'The Birth of a Nation' director Nate Parker's rape trial, and their "painful" directing process: "It's like trying to cram 10 pounds of shit into a 5-pound bag."
Robert Downey Jr. Honored by Don Cheadle at Make-A-Wish Gala
“Honestly I never expected Tony Stark to define my purpose, or that ‘Iron Man’ would be much more than just a fun creative paycheck that kept doubling every 10 minutes for a decade,” Robert Downey Jr. said at the annual gala.
AFI Names Top Movies, TV Shows for 2016
'O.J.: Made in America,' a nearly eight-hour long documentary that aired on TV, receives a special award.
Harry Cohen to Get Sound Editors' Career Achievement Award
His recent credits include 'The Hateful Eight' and 'Deepwater Horizon.'
- Tina Fey Ponders Her Future in Hollywood: "What Is My Role Once Nobody Wants to Grab Me by the Pussy Anymore?"
- 'Awards Chatter' Podcast — Sting ('Jim: The James Foley Story')
- DGA Announces Diverse Student Film Winners
- Oscars: What the Doc Shortlist Got Right and Wrong, and Which of the 15 Will Make the Final 5
This Week’s Issue
Women in Entertainment Power 100
Executive of the Year Shari Redstone speaks — plus the major movers, shakers and goddamn geniuses of 2016
- The Hollywood Reporter's 2016 Women in Entertainment Power 100
- The Tina Fey Interview, by David Letterman
- Hollywood's 50 Favorite Female Characters
- What to Do With Pussy (the Word, That Is) After Trump's Election
- Sherry Lansing, Dawn Steel and Sue Mengers: When the Broads Faced the Raging Bulls in '70s Hollywood
Our Favorite Looks From THR's Women in Entertainment Breakfast
From Emma Stone's bright yellow number to Simone Biles' pumpkin pantsuit, it was a colorful morning at THR's annual breakfast.
Fashion Awards 2016: Red-Carpet Arrivals
About Last Weekend: Jessica Chastain Opts for Black and White; Jennifer Hudson Is a Glowing Goddess
Sheer, Short and Shiny: The Best Looks From the Victoria's Secret Afterparty
2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show in Paris Hair & Makeup and Backstage
About Last Night: Rihanna Goes Sporty in Fenty x Puma; Katy Perry's Winter White
Hollywood Hearts Dior
Haute (Hollywood) Holidays
Appeals Court Reviews The Turtles' Royalties Dispute With Pandora
Does selling a song to the public qualify as "publishing" it?
Niall Horan, Shawn Mendes, More to Perform at the Billboard Hollywood Party on New Year's Eve
Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake & Palmer Dies at 69
Yoko Ono Writes Plea for Gun Control on Anniversary of John Lennon's Murder
Lady Gaga Pens Letter About Personal Struggle With PTSD: "It Is a Daily Effort for Me"
Madonna Sings the Hits, Fights Her "Rebellious" Reputation on "Carpool Karaoke"
'Hairspray Live!': TV Review
Chart: Hot 100
Rae Sremmurd Featuring Gucci Mane
The Weeknd Featuring Daft Punk
The Chainsmokers Featuring Halsey
Side To Side
Ariana Grande Featuring Nicki Minaj
'The Band's Visit': Theater Review
Tony Shalhoub stars in the Atlantic Theater's world premiere of this latest musical from David Yazbek, composer of 'The Full Monty' and 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,' based on the acclaimed 2007 Israeli film.
The Heroin-Addict Actress, The Interventionist and a Grieving Mother's Court Fight: "She Didn't Want to Die"
Eight months after Warren Boyd, who helped the likes of Robert Downey Jr. and Courtney Love get clean, took on aspiring Beverly Hills actress Amy Breliant as a client, the young woman was dead. Now Boyd — along with 'Star Wars' actress Carrie Fisher — will face a civil lawsuit.
Behind the Explosive Growth of West L.A.'s Sober-Living Industry
Efforts to regulate homes and addiction treatment facilities that have metastasized in communities like Malibu and Pacific Palisades have failed, but new legislation may finally bring change.
'Tiny Beautiful Things': Theater Review
Nia Vardalos stars in the Public Theater's world premiere of her play adapted from the best-selling self-help book by Cheryl Strayed, author of 'Wild.'
Harold Prince's 'Prince of Broadway' to Bow in Summer 2017
Co-directed by Prince and Susan Stroman, the musical revue combines biographical elements with iconic numbers staged by the veteran showman throughout his celebrated six-decade career.
- 'The Babylon Line': Theater Review
- 'Dear Evan Hansen': Theater Review
- Nanci Ryder's ALS Battle Update: Power Publicist Still Curses Like a Sailor
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: 'Fantastic Beasts' Star Alison Sudol Goes From Indie Musician to Mind-Reading Witch
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: Joe Alwyn, From Film Student to Star of 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk'
Hollywood's Next Big Thing: 'Good Girls Revolt' Star Genevieve Angelson Is Really Just a "Free-Love Hippie"
Netflix Content Chief Ted Sarandos Takes Shot at Amazon Studios: They Aren't "Gaining Much Traction"
Netflix plans to release more than 1,000 hours of original programming in 2017.
IAC Chairman Barry Diller: "We Don't Have a Clue" How Trump Will Handle M&A
The media mogul spoke about the results of the election and why he supports net neutrality.
Vice Creates Apprenticeship Program for Former Inmates
The media company will employ five people who formerly were incarcerated for a six-month apprentice program.
Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg Doesn't Think Fake News "Swayed the Election"
"We're looking at things, like working with third parties, helping to label false news, doing the things we can do to make it clearer what's a hoax on Facebook," she said in an interview that aired on Thursday's 'Today.'
- YouTube Red to Stream Horror Comedy '12 Deadly Days' From Blumhouse TV
- Donald Trump Invites Tech Leaders to Policy Summit (Report)
- Election, Olympics and Pokemon Go Top Twitter Trends of the Year
- YouTube Reports $1 Billion Paid to Recording Industry Through Advertising This Year
- Supreme Court Throws Out $399M Judgment Against Samsung in iPhone Patent Dispute With Apple
- AOL CEO Tim Armstrong "Cautiously Optimistic" Yahoo Acquisition Will Happen
- YouTube Plans Christmas Special Starring Mariah Carey, Rudy Mancuso