Critic's Notebook: Toronto, Telluride and Venice Film Fests Promise Riches After Cruel Summer
After a dismal summer movie season, the big fall festivals feature a slate of intriguing offerings, from the much buzzed-about gay drama 'Moonlight' to new works by Oliver Stone and Clint Eastwood and an original musical starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.
Summer Box-Office Wrap: Why Hollywood's on Red Alert Despite Near-Record Revenue
The sequelitis virus infected a number of big-budget franchise installments, except for a precious few (think 'Captain America: Civil War' and 'Finding Dory'), while horror also helped save the day and Disney dominated.
Kevin Bacon on the Fame Exploration Behind Amazon's 'I Love Dick'
The actor opens up in an interview with THR about how Kyra Sedgwick pushed him to do the Jill Soloway comedy and the personal touches he brought to the title character.
Critic's Notebook: Was 'The Night Of' Finale the Cat's Pajamas?
HBO's summer miniseries ends with few answers, but lots of screentime for one key kitten.
- MTV VMAs: Beyonce's Mini-Concert, Kanye's Speech and 10 More Memorable Moments
- Alison Brie to Star in Netflix Wrestling Comedy 'GLOW' From Jenji Kohan
- Andrea Tantaros' Lawyer Issues Lie Detector Challenge to Fox News
- Galloway on Film: Hollywood's Secret Class System
- 'Awards Chatter' Podcast — Gloria Steinem ('Woman')
- Weekend Box Office: 'Don't Breathe' Terrorizes Rivals With Winning $26.1M Debut
Never miss a story. Stay up-to-date with THR's Today in Entertainment newsletter.
This Week’s Issue
"Why are we still talking about how women look?"
- Renee Zellweger on Aging in Hollywood, Gender Inequality, Politics and Her Six-Year Break
- Little People, Big Woes in Hollywood: Low Pay, Degrading Jobs and a Tragic Death
- Kim Masters: My Battles With CAA's Michael Ovitz and the Truce That Never Was
- Oscar Voters Ponder Nate Parker and 'Birth of a Nation': "I Would Not Go to the Movie"
- Michael Wolff: Why Univision's $135M Gawker Buy Is a Desperation Play for Millennials
37 of Fall's Most Anticipated Movies
Grab your popcorn for awaited adaptations, sci-fi flicks, animated animal tales and buzzy Oscar contenders.
- 'Hands of Stone': Cannes Review
- Alex Pettyfer to Star in 'The Strange Ones' (Exclusive)
- Will Smith's Overbrook Taps Screenwriter to Adapt Modern Counterfeiter Story (Exclusive)
- 'Narcos' Actress Ana de la Reguera Joins 'Everything Everything' (Exclusive)
- John Oliver Mocks 'Deadpool' and 'Suicide Squad' While Pitching His Own Superhero Movie
- 'Modern Family' Star Julie Bowen Joins Melissa McCarthy in 'Life of the Party' (Exclusive)
'Let the Right One In' Reboot Scores TNT Pilot Pickup
Jamie Foxx's Showtime Comedy Adds 'CSI: Miami' and 'Pitch Perfect' Grads
What 'The Flash' and 'Supergirl' Can Learn From TV's Unlikely Musical Episodes
Marcia Clark Legal Drama Scores NBC Put Pilot Commitment
Amazon Unveils K-Pop Drama 'The Idolm@ster' as First South Korean Original
'Making a Murderer': Steven Avery Attorney Seeks More Evidence Testing
Kristen Bell to Produce Animated Kids Series for Gaumont
Jennifer Lopez, 'Royal Pains' Grad Sell Legal Twin Drama to CBS
A&E Sets JonBenet Ramsey Documentary 'The Truth Uncovered'
Critic's Notebook: 'Nashville' With Less Connie Britton? Why Would Anybody Want That?
'Mr. Robot' Star Carly Chaikin Talks Darlene's Deadly Decision and Elliot's Surprising Absence
Britney Spears TV Movie Set at Lifetime (Exclusive)
Renee Zellweger on Aging in Hollywood, Gender Inequality, Politics and Her Six-Year Break
Oprah Winfrey, Ava DuVernay on the Push for "Inclusion" (Not Diversity), Tackling Black Lives Matter Beyond the "Hashtag"
TV Titans Roundtable: 5 Chiefs Spar Over the Future (and Netflix's Role as Arch-Frenemy)
Sky Italia Launches New Theatrical Distribution Company
Mark Zuckerberg Meets With Pope Francis at the Vatican
History's 'Knightfall' Series to Continue Shooting in Prague After Fire
Director of Martin Sheen Movie Filmed in Spanish and English Says Bilingual Actors Are "the Future of Filmmaking"
- Philippe Dauman Settlement to Get Judge's Approval
- Telemundo Refuses to Air SAG-AFTRA Ad About Language Equity
- 'Rock the Kasbah' Producers Win Case Against Russian Distributor Over License Fees
Watch Hollywood Reporter's Full, Uncensored Drama Actor Roundtable With Rami Malek, Cuba Gooding Jr. and More
Watch Hollywood Reporter's Full, Uncensored Drama Actress Roundtable With Jennifer Lopez, Kerry Washington and More
Watch Hollywood Reporter's Full, Uncensored Comedy Actress Roundtable With Ilana Glazer, Gina Rodriguez and More
Emmys 2016: Who Should Win, Who Will Win
Months of shoulda, coulda, woulda wind up here as final Emmy verdicts are in from THR’s awards analyst Scott Feinberg, who assesses what will win, and chief TV critic Tim Goodman, who shares what should win (hint: 'Game of Thrones' and 'Veep' are gonna clean up).
Oscars: Who Will Academy Tap for Governors Awards? (Analysis)
Ahead of Tuesday's big vote, THR's awards analyst reports that a record number of names have been submitted for consideration; letter-writing campaigns have been mounted on behalf of Robert Evans, Lina Wertmuller and Jonas Mekas; and Doris Day has asked not to be honored.
'Awards Chatter' Podcast — Tracy Morgan ('Saturday Night Live')
"Most people that suffer the injuries that I suffered aren't hosting no f—ing TV show," the beloved TV comedian, a guest actor in a comedy series Emmy nominee for his October 2015 hosting of 'Saturday Night Live,' says in reference to the car wreck that nearly claimed his life in June 2014. "They're in vegetative states."
Academy President on 'Birth of a Nation' Backlash: "People Need to See the Movie"
"I know just by the conversation that has gone on at Sundance that it's clearly a movie that filmgoers should go and see," Cheryl Boone Isaacs says of the Nate Parker film.
- Read Kanye West's Full VMAs 2016 Speech
- Beyonce Powerfully Performs 'Lemonade' Hits at the VMAs 2016
- MTV VMAs: Nick Jonas & Ty Dolla $ign Perform "Bacon"
- Kanye West Talks Violence, Defends "Famous," Introduces New Video at VMAs 2016
MTV VMAs: Red Carpet Photos
Music’s biggest names — including Beyonce, Rihanna, Kanye West, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj — are stepping out for the VMAs at Madison Square Garden in New York on Aug. 28.
Chart: Hot 100
The Chainsmokers Featuring Halsey
Sia Featuring Sean Paul
Major Lazer Featuring Justin Bieber & MO
twenty one pilots
Justin Bieber Clarifies He Has Not Returned to Instagram
John Lennon's Killer Mark Chapman Denied Parole
MTV VMAs: 14 Things You Didn't See on TV
MTV VMAs: Drake Presents Rihanna With the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award
MTV VMAs: The Chainsmokers Perform "Closer" With Halsey
MTV VMAs: Britney Spears Performs "Make Me" and "Me, Myself & I" With G-Eazy
MTV VMAs: Future Performs "F*ck Up Some Commas"
'The Layover': Theater Review
Annie Parisse and Adam Rothenberg play strangers who connect in a one-night stand that casts a lingering spell in Leslye Headland's dark comedy.
Jennifer Holliday Returning to Broadway in 'The Color Purple'
The Tony-winning breakout star of 'Dreamgirls' will end a 15-year absence when she steps into the role of juke-joint singer Shug Avery in the hit musical revival.
'Groundhog Day': Theater Review
Director Matthew Warchus, composer Tim Minchin and the team behind 'Matilda' turn the much-loved Bill Murray screen comedy into a lavish stage musical.
Jason Sudeikis to Star in 'Dead Poets Society' on Stage
The actor will play unconventional English professor John Keating, one of Robin Williams' most iconic film roles, in the world-premiere drama adapted by Oscar-winning screenwriter Tom Schulman.
John Turturro, Tony Shalhoub, Jessica Hecht to Star in Arthur Miller's 'The Price'
Terry Kinney will direct the Broadway revival for Roundabout Theatre Company, beginning performances Feb. 16.
- Nearly Naked Hillary Clinton Portrayed as the "Beast" in Hollywood Street Art
- Willem Dafoe, Charlotte Rampling's 'Sculpt' Admitting One Guest Per Screening
- Huma Abedin Separates From Anthony Weiner After New Sexting Scandal
Photographer Blasts PETA's Appeal in "Monkey Selfie" Lawsuit
Twitter Developing New Feature to Filter Hate Speech (Report)
Movies and TV Shows Leaving Netflix in September
Netflix's New Releases Coming in September 2016
- Edinburgh TV Fest: Former 'Top Gear' Producer Says "Everything Went to Shit" at BBC
- Germany's RTL Group Turns Drama, Digital Business into Record First Half
- 'Epic Rap Battles of History,' 'Oscar's Hotel' Tie With Most Nominations for 2016 Streamys