The Walking Dead on Monday resumed production of season eight, an AMC spokesperson confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter, five days after the on-set death of stuntman John Bernecker. On Sunday, castmember Pollyanna McIntosh posted on Instagram that production would resume the next day.
“As I prepare to work again tomorrow I'm again thinking of John's friends and family and of John,” reads the post, also on Twitter. “My heart goes out to you all and to the rest of your set family and families who've known John and his art.”
AMC president Charlie Collier flew in from Los Angeles to be on set Monday for the production’s resumption, sources told THR.
Bernecker died in an accident when he fell from a balcony and struck a concrete floor at least 22 feet below, missing protective padding by what a witness told a Coweta County, Ga., sheriff’s deputy was “just inches.”
On Friday night, AMC offered condolences and also provided a statement from showrunner Scott Gimple.
“John Bernecker's family has decided that he will be removed from life support, following organ donation,” said the AMC statement. “We are deeply saddened by this loss and our hearts and prayers are with John’s family, friends and colleagues during this extremely difficult time.”
Said Gimple: “Our production is heartbroken by the tragic loss of John Bernecker. John's work on The Walking Dead and dozens of other movies and shows will continue to entertain and excite audiences for generations. We are grateful for his contributions, and all of us send our condolences, love, and prayers to John's family and friends.”
As THR previously reported, a statement posted on the website of organ donor network LifeLink described Bernecker’s family as “heartbroken” and “devastated by their loss.” The family itself has not spoken publicly, and the statement also said that the family “requests privacy during this time as they say goodbye to John.”
July 17, 5:17 p.m. Updated with the news that AMC president Charlie Collier was on set Monday.