TV Summer Camps: Earnest Dramas, Sci-Fi, Comedy And Blue-Sky Escapism
Which camps are you in, and what is your most anticipated series of summer?
Summer officially began on June 21 -- less than a month ago. But if you still hold to this notion of a TV season, it really crept in sometime in late May. It could be argued, then, that some of television's best "summer series" have come and gone, since they bled into the hot days, entertained (or annoyed) the hell out of us, then vanished.
Like Game of Thrones, Justified, Treme, The Borgias and The Killing.
Treme finished Sunday -- spectacularly -- and Men of a Certain Age ends tonight, with Friday Night Lights not far behind it. On the other hand, so many new series have kicked in recently it's hard to feel the loss (and yes, I'm looking at you, Wilfred, you big lovable and filthy dog). Plus, Torchwood starts Friday and the Big Baddy Daddy of Summer -- Breaking Bad -- will premiere on the 17th.
So, let's do a quick survey of sorts. What did you watch and what will you watch before -- dread the thought -- fall creeps in? Somewhere in there you should note precisely what you're most excited to see. For me it was Game of Thrones (which didn't disappoint), The Killing (which did) and, most of all, the upcoming return of Breaking Bad.
Let no one ever say again that there's nothing to watch in the summer. Look at these summer camps:
Earnest Dramas: Justified, Treme, Men Of A Certain Age, Friday Night Lights, The Killing, Falling Skies, Nurse Jackie, United States of Tara, Combat Hospital, The Big C, Weeds. Upcoming: Breaking Bad, The Closer, Damages, Rescue Me.
Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Game of Thrones, Teen Wolf, Outcasts, True Blood. Upcoming: Eureka, Warehouse 13, Torchwood, Alphas, Haven.
Comedies: The InBetweeners, Children's Hospital, Wilfred, Louie. Upcoming: Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Blue Sky Escapism: Memphis Beat, Hawthorne, White Collar, Covert Affairs, Franklin & Bash, Royal Pains, Necessary Roughness, Rookie Blue, Burn Notice, Suits, Drop Dead Diva, Leverage, The Glades. Upcoming: Rizzoli & Isles, Entourage.
So, to recap: What did you watch or what are you currently watching? What are you most loooking forward to? And if you feel so inclined, the best show of the summer so far is/was?
Don't forget the sunscreen.
What's Hot in TV
Hot TV Show Reviews
Follow Bastard Machine
- 'Supreme Court: No Girls Allowed' Perfectly Parodies The Hobby Lobby Ruling
- Colbert Mocks Kim Kardashian's New Video Game, Introduces One Of His Own
- On 'The Bachelorette' Finale, We Learned That Sex Happens -- Even On Reality TV
- Micah McCain Dishes Up Bette Midler In 'Beaches' In Just Under 4 Minutes
- Dianna Agron Rocks Really High Hair for 'Headlock' Filming
- Benedict Cumberbatch Think His Evil Character Kahn Could Come Back for 'Star Trek 3'!
- Pregnant Zoe Saldana & Chris Pratt Strike the Sassiest Pose Ever at New York Stock Exchange!
- Colton Haynes is a Sexy Leather Stud for New Diesel by Nicola Formichetti Campaign