'Captain Phillips' Director Paul Greengrass to Receive Cinema Editors' Golden Eddie Award
Greengrass' award-winning films include "United 93," "The Bourne Ultimatum" and "Bloody Sunday."
Captain Phillips director Paul Greengrass has been selected to receive American Cinema Editors' Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year Award, which will be presented at the 64th annual ACE Eddie Awards on Feb. 7 at The Beverly Hilton.
An examination of the 2009 hijacking of a U.S. container ship by Somali pirates, Captain Phillips has already been honored with four Golden Globe nominations including best director, nine BAFTA nominations including best director and a DGA nomination for best director.
For his film United 93, Greengrass earned an Academy Award nomination for best director, a best original screenplay nomination from the WGA, BAFTA's David Lean Award for direction and best director awards from the London Film Critics' Circle, the Los Angeles Film Critics Association and the National Society of Film Critics. He was also nominated for a BAFTA for best director for The Bourne Ultimatum, which received three Academy Awards and two BAFTAs.
Additionally, Greengrass has directed the feature films Green Zone, The Bourne Supremacy and Bloody Sunday, which earned the Golden Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival. He has written and directed TV films concerned with social and political issues, including The Murder of Stephen Lawrence, which was the winner of BAFTA's best single drama award and the special jury prize at the BANFF world television festival.
"A Greengrass film simply has its own signature -- from the magnificent handheld camera work to his ability to engage audiences with riveting storytelling, his canon of work is bold and iconic," the ACE board of directors said in a statement. "His latest film, Captain Phillips, is a masterwork yielding some of the finest filmmaking of the year."
The board added: "He maintains one of the foremost director-editor partnerships in the industry with Christopher Rouse, ACE, who has edited all of his features since 2002. It is our pleasure to recognize him with the ACE Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year honor for his ongoing contribution to filmmaking at its finest."
Past ACE Golden Eddie honorees have included Steven Spielberg, Alexander Payne, James Cameron and Martin Scorsese.
E-mail: Carolyn.Giardina@THR.com Twitter: @CGinLA
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!