'Captain Phillips' Director Paul Greengrass to Receive Cinema Editors' Golden Eddie Award
Greengrass' award-winning films include "United 93," "The Bourne Ultimatum" and "Bloody Sunday."
Captain Phillips director Paul Greengrass has been selected to receive American Cinema Editors' Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year Award, which will be presented at the 64th annual ACE Eddie Awards on Feb. 7 at The Beverly Hilton.
An examination of the 2009 hijacking of a U.S. container ship by Somali pirates, Captain Phillips has already been honored with four Golden Globe nominations including best director, nine BAFTA nominations including best director and a DGA nomination for best director.
For his film United 93, Greengrass earned an Academy Award nomination for best director, a best original screenplay nomination from the WGA, BAFTA's David Lean Award for direction and best director awards from the London Film Critics' Circle, the Los Angeles Film Critics Association and the National Society of Film Critics. He was also nominated for a BAFTA for best director for The Bourne Ultimatum, which received three Academy Awards and two BAFTAs.
Additionally, Greengrass has directed the feature films Green Zone, The Bourne Supremacy and Bloody Sunday, which earned the Golden Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival. He has written and directed TV films concerned with social and political issues, including The Murder of Stephen Lawrence, which was the winner of BAFTA's best single drama award and the special jury prize at the BANFF world television festival.
"A Greengrass film simply has its own signature -- from the magnificent handheld camera work to his ability to engage audiences with riveting storytelling, his canon of work is bold and iconic," the ACE board of directors said in a statement. "His latest film, Captain Phillips, is a masterwork yielding some of the finest filmmaking of the year."
The board added: "He maintains one of the foremost director-editor partnerships in the industry with Christopher Rouse, ACE, who has edited all of his features since 2002. It is our pleasure to recognize him with the ACE Golden Eddie Filmmaker of the Year honor for his ongoing contribution to filmmaking at its finest."
Past ACE Golden Eddie honorees have included Steven Spielberg, Alexander Payne, James Cameron and Martin Scorsese.
E-mail: Carolyn.Giardina@THR.com Twitter: @CGinLA
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Apple Should Have Read The Lyrics Before Putting This Song In An Ad
- 'Noah' Director Darren Aronofsky And Others Talk Faith And Environmentalism (LIVE VIDEO)
- 'The Quiet Ones' Review: Retro Horror Film Is Weighed Down By A Silly Script
- Wrigley Field's Celebrity Singers Ranked From Most Cringe-Worthy To Least