CES: Mini-Cam Capable of 4G Live Streaming Debuts
The device is intended to be used to capture extreme sports, news reports and point-of-view shots.
LAS VEGAS – California-based action camera manufacturer Liquid Image has unwrapped a mini-camera capable of streaming video live to the Internet over the 4G LTE wireless network.
The $200 Ego LS camera was demonstrated at CES attached to a Verizon 4G network module, also $200, and will be available in the U.S. starting in June.
Liquid Image co-founder and executive vp Melanie Pearson said the wearable unit is aimed at capturing extreme sports action, point-of-view shots and news reports from units tethered to journalists.
Video can be recorded in HD 1080p at 30 frames per second or transmitted over 4G LTE in the lower resolution file format WQVGA, also at 30 frames per second. The streams can pass through a cloud service to go out through a website or social media.
Pearson told The Hollywood Reporter that the company was exploring sales of the unit in Europe through Swisscom in Switzerland, Orange in France and Vodafone in the U.K.
The camera also has Bluetooth to enable remote operation. The unit has a wide-angle 8.0 megapixel lens and sensor with a battery life of up to two hours while recording in HD.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Elizabeth Banks Dishes on 'Pitch Perfect 2': The Bellas Have Gotten Too Big for Their Britches
- Evan Rachel Wood Has the Coolest Backpack Ever Because It Looks Like R2D2!
- Hercules' Irina Shayk Leaves Craig Ferguson Speechless - Watch Now
- Leonardo DiCaprio Tries to Keep Low Profile After Raising $25 Million