Cine Gear: 'Thor 2' DP Kramer Morgenthau to Shoot Jon Favreau’s 'Chef'
The director of photography won an American Society of Cinematographers Award earlier this year for "Game of Thrones."
Director of photography Karmer Morgenthau revealed that he will shoot Jon Favreau’s indie Chef and showed the trailer for his next film, Thor: The Dark World, Friday at Cine Gear Expo.
Chef, written by Favreau, is a comedy starring Robert Downey Jr., Sofia Vergara, John Leguizamo and Bobby Cannavale that is set to begin production on July 8.
During the Arri-hosted session at Cine Gear Expo, Morgenthau avoided any discussion directly related to the plot of Thor 2, which opens Nov. 8, but explained that after some testing he chose to shoot the feature with the Arri Alexa using anamorphic lenses from Panavision.
“There is a lot of darkness, and we were creating a whole other universe,” he said, adding that dynamic range was a big factor in his decision. “I wanted to shoot anamorphic for a ‘big’ look and also a painterly look.”
Thor: The Dark World involved 90 days of principal photography.
Morgenthau said he will again use the Alexa for Chef and "would like to shoot anamorphic."
Earlier this year, Morgenthau received an American Society of Cinematographers Award for his work on HBO's Game of Thrones, for which he also used the Alexa.
The Arri camera has also recently been used by John Toll on Iron Man 3 and Bojan Bazelli on upcoming The Lone Ranger.
Fall TV Preview
- McKayla Maroney Was Reportedly Underage In Hacked Nude Photos
- Richard Lewis Talks Richard Lewis: Bundle of Nerves: Mighty Movie Podcast
- Justin Verlander Addresses Online Photo Hacking Of Him And Girlfriend Kate Upton
- Internet Tries Donating In 'Honor' Of Leaked Jennifer Lawrence Photos, Nonprofit's Not Having It
- Lindsay Lohan Dazzles Us With Her Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Nicole Scherzinger Leaves Ibiza After Displaying Her Fabulous Figure in a Teeny Bikini
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Shine Bright at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Rita Ora & Cara Delevingne Flaunt Their Long Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014