CineEurope: D-Box Demos 'Fast & Furious 6' in 4D
"Man of Steel" is currently available at D-Box equipped theaters, and "The Lone Ranger," "Pacific Rim" and "Riddick" are coming to the 4D system soon.
BARCELONA – Vin Diesel's character leaped off a moving car, across a bridge, caught co-star Michelle Rodriguez's character in the air, and the pair landed on the windshield of another car -- and the audience was asked to go along for the ride -- during my latest 4D cinema demo, this week at CineEurope. D-Box Technologies was using this scene from recent release Fast & Furious 6 to demo its technology.
It you’re not familiar with the D-Box system, it creates motion effects that are sent to a motion generating system that can be integrated with the seats in a theater. The resulting motion is synchronized with onscreen content -- so you could think of it as a cross between a theater experience and a special venue ride.
Man of Steel is currently available at D-Box equipped theaters, and The Lone Ranger, Pacific Rim and Riddick are among the upcoming titles.
Launched in 2009, the D-Box system is now available in 207 theaters in 15 countries, including the U.S., Canada, Germany and Japan. It is also expanding into Latin America, starting in Colombia and Peru.
The D-Box team works with the studios, sometimes directly with the filmmakers, on the creative decisions involved in producing the “motion design” for each film. The collaboration sometimes involves working with the director, editor or a producer, members of the D-Box team explained.
The business model for 4D cinema came up briefly during CineEurope. On one panel, Miguel Mier, COO of South America’s Cinepolis, reported that his chain already has 13 4D auditoriums in Mexico, Brazil, Peru and Guatemala. He reported the ticket price is double that of a regular theater, and the auditoriums are “performing well."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay