CineEurope: Dolby Reveals Five New Atmos Titles
There have now been 50 announced films, and 500 Atmos theater installations are expected by year's end.
Dolby revealed five new films that will get mixed in Atmos, bringing the total to more than 50 announced titles since the format was launched a year ago.
The new titles are: Las Brujas de Zugarramurdi (Spain), Mindscape (Spain and Canada), Tarzan 3D (Germany), Mr. Go (Korea) and nature documentary Guadalquivir (Spain).
Las Brujas de Zugarramurdi, directed by Álex de la Iglesia, will be presented at the San Sebastián International Film Festival in Spain in September.
Psychological thriller Mindscape is a Spain-Canada co-production directed by Jorge Dorado and produced by Ombra Films, the Safran Company, and Atresmedia Cine, in association with Roxbury Pictures. It will be presented in September at the Toronto International Film Festival.
Guadalquivir, produced by Wanda Films, will be screened at Spain’s Seville European Film Festival in November.
These three films will be mixed in Atmos by sound rerecording mixer Nicolas de Poulpiquet at Best Digital Group’s postproduction facility in Madrid.
Tarzan 3D, directed by Reinhard Klooss, will open this October in Germany. It will be distributed by Constantin Film.
Mr. Go, the first Dolby Atmos title from Korea, was mixed at Korean studio Dexter Lab. Showbox releases the film in Korea on July 17, and Huayi Bros opens the movie in China on July 18.
Upcoming Atmos releases from Hollywood include The Heat, Pacific Rim and The Wolverine.
Last week, Dolby announced that Regal has installed Atmos in 20 of its premium large-format RPX theaters. And earlier this week it revealed that Odeon and UCI Cinemas Group plans to equip 27 screens across Europe with the sound format.
Dolby expects to have 500 Atmos installations by year’s end.
A year ago, Dolby predicted that it would reach 1,000 installations by the end of 2013. Senior worldwide technical marketing manager Stuart Bowling told THR that the revised projections reflect the fact that there’s “more than one format in the market. [Theater owners] want to see a return on investment.”
2014 Emmy Awards
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Sophia Bush Sends Congrats to Pal Aaron Paul For Emmy Win!
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'