Colorfront Takes Its Workflow to the Cloud
The services will be previewed Saturday at a Los Angeles user group meeting and next week at the SMPTE annual conference.
Colorfront, developer of the On-Set Dailies system used in production, is putting its services in the cloud. This will be previewed Saturday at a user group meeting on the Sony lot and next week at the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers' annual technical conference and exhibition.
Colorfront Cloud Services — which the company said were developed in collaboration with certain Hollywood studios and postproduction facilities — will begin to roll out early next year.
At launch, users can access these services via a "CopyCentral" feature that is new to the upcoming 2014 release of Colorfront Express Dailies and On-Set Dailies. It would allow filmmakers to upload original camera footage and the associated metadata to the cloud. Colorfront said that once the footage is in the cloud, services would include dailies transcoding, deliverables rendering and visual effects pulls, as well as turning over reels for final DI. It can also be used as part of a remote color grading pipeline. Uploaded material and metadata can be accessed by others in the production using Miso, a Colorfront-developed remote browser and player.
These services can be used in conjunction with technology including Codex Vault, PIX, DAX, Shotgun, Joust, Aspera high-speed file transfer and asset management systems from 5th Kind.
Clients have the choice of using Colorfront’s own cloud service in Los Angeles, a preferred private data center, or public cloud-based servers such as Amazon Web Services.
Noting that the cost of Gigabit connectivity is dropping, Colorfront managing director Aron Jaszberenyi claimed that using a Gigabit internet connection, one hour of encrypted HD footage (such as Arri Alexa ProRes 4444) could be securely submitted in 15 minutes, while 4K RAW camera footage could be uploaded in real time.
Fee structure is still being worked out, Jaszberenyi said. On Saturday, Colorfront also plans to demonstrate the 2014 version of Express Dailies and On-Set Dailies, as well as preview Transkoder.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofía Vergara Reveals Who She Dresses Up For (VIDEO)
- Before The Beat Drops: Heavy English's 'Black Dog' Brings Back Gritty, Bluesy Rock 'N' Roll
- Watch The First Promo For Fox's Controversial New Reality Dating Show 'I Wanna Marry Harry'
- Chelsea Handler Breaks Silence On That Infamous Instagram Photo And Why Network TV Isn't For Her
- Did You Catch the Coen Brothers Easter Egg in Fargo?
- Julie Klausner Talks to Billy Eichner About Billy on the Street, Mayim Bialik, and Getting Fuse to Agree to ‘Ask a Squirter’
- Watch Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, and NBA Stars Live-Read Space Jam
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues