Fantasy Epic 'Kochadaiiyaan' Marks Technological Advance for Indian Cinema
The film, starring local screen icon Rajnikant, features the same photorealistic performance capture technology used in “Avatar” and "Beowulf."
The first Indian film to employ photorealistic performance capture technology, fantasy epic Kochadaiiyaan – The Legend, will release worldwide on April 11, according to producers Eros International and Mediaone Global Entertainment.
Featuring South Indian superstar Rajnikant, the film is directed by his daughter, Soundarya Rajnikanth Ashwin.
Kochadaiiyaan is described as an epic dramatization of good versus evil starring Rajinikanth in a double role, along with top Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone. The film's soundtrack is composed by Oscar-winning maestro A. R. Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire).
The film shot extensively at Pinewood Studios in the U.K. and London-based Centroid Studios, a state of the art facility offering full body motion capture technology. The facility's credits include Brad Pitt's World War Z and Ironman 2, among others. LA-based Counter Punch Studios (credits include Beverly Hills Chihuahua) also worked on the project.U.K.-based Faceware Technologies, which worked on The Mummy 3 and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, supplied facial capturing technology.
“For the first time, a full-length feature has been made using performance capture technology in India and I truly hope this creates a whole alternate filmmaking avenue, apart from live action films in our country,” said Soundarya RajnikanthAshwin.
“We are confident that this will be a landmark film in world cinema as a result of the ground-breaking technology used,” added Eros International Media managing director Sunil Lulla. “The film will be released in Tamil, Hindi, Telugu, Marathi, Bhojpuri, Bengali and Punjabi in India, and overseas [it will open] on more than 6,000 screens. We will be releasing an English version internationally as well.”
As part of the film's promotions, Eros and Mediaone have pacted with Indian mobile phone brand Karbonn to launch one million Kochadaiiyaan branded phones. The exclusive phones will feature the film's trailer, theme song, screen savers and select images.
2014 Emmy Awards
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'
- Chris Hemsworth Gets to Showcase Comedic Side in 'Vacation'