'Hunger Games 2,' 'Ender's Game' to Get Dolby Atmos Mix (Exclusive)
"Pacific Rim" will premiere at the Dolby Theatre in the immersive sound format.
Lionsgate's The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Ender's Game will both get a Dolby Atmos mix, meaning the movies will be released in two immersive new sound formats.
Barco recently announced that both films would be mixed for its Auro 11.1 sound system.
DreamWorks Animation’s Turbo and Sony’s Elysium also are upcoming titles that will use both sound formats.
An issue has developed over how to create and distribute mixes for these new systems, as the formats are not compatible and therefore each requires a separate mix.
Numerous industry leaders have called for standards, and organizations including NATO, the Union Internationale des Cinemas (UNIC) and standards setting body Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers are working toward that goal. But not all parties agree as to how this might be achieved.
Recent titles offered in Atmos include Star Trek Into Darkness, Man of Steel and Pacific Rim, which will have its premiere in Dolby Atmos on Tuesday at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)