IBC: Disney Wants 'Fewer Complications' From New On-Set Workflows
"We discourage a lot of color work on set," said studio exec Howard Lukk.
AMSTERDAM -- Howard Lukk, Disney’s vp production technology, said that with the seemingly unlimited possibilities offered by digital technology, a big challenge now is that “every movie has a new workflow. Nothing seems consistent. ”
That scenario includes the fact that there’s a range of portable postproduction systems available that enable color work to be done on set, and productions are taking advantage of this to varying degrees.
But speaking on a panel during the International Broadcasting Convention, Lukk said Disney would prefer “fewer complications” by doing as little on set as possible. “We discourage a lot of color work on set,” he said, though acknowledging that it is currently a necessity to monitor color parameters. “[If in the future] we have good cameras with wider dynamic range, I don’t see a need for a DIT (Digital Imaging Technican) on set.”
Kate Morrison-Lyons, founder of U.K.-based Fluent Image, also discussed issues surrounding on-set color work. She said a plus is that one can convey an idea to the director, while a disadvantage is that it costs money and requires time.
Also, it has to be done right. “If you are making something different, you have to understand the consequences -- you’ll have to change it throughout the process. … and if you can only create the look in dailies, then you have broken the image pipeline.”
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)