IBC: Sony Readies DSLR Cameras to Ward Off 'Canon Attack'
Sony chief wants to change corporate culture to reflect that of GoPro.
AMSTERDAM – Sony is designing a new series of cameras to ward off strong competition from Canon and GoPro.
“Canon is attacking us in the DSLR camera segment and we need to respond with a product lineup,” said Shoji Nemoto, executive vp, corporate executive officer, and president of Sony's Professional Services Group, during the International Broadcasting Convention. “The fundamental thing is to have a workflow in place, not just the camera itself. So we are looking to integrate research and development on the consumer side of our business with the professional imaging side.”
Sony unveiled a first look at the cameras at NAB in April as concept only and described them as “the embodiment of Sony’s future development.”
“Development is ongoing and will merge technology and design from the Alpha range [of consumer digital still cameras] with professional technologies like XDCAM,” elaborated Nemoto, who leads Sony's Professional Digital Imaging business.
“The DSLR market is growing into a big space and there are opportunities for us there,” he added. “The big challenge is how to change the culture of the way we market and sell the product. It needs to be a user-centric approach, not a product-based one.
“If you look at GoPro, they have entered this market with a culture and a business model based on the consumer side. We now need to develop our network and our services into a total business model with a strong consumer focus."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama