James Cameron, Vince Pace Throw Support Behind Dolby 3D
Cameron|Pace Group will integrate Dolby 3D into its 3D production technologies.
LAS VEGAS -- James Cameron and Vince Pace’s 3D company Cameron|Pace Group gave a big endorsement to the Dolby 3D format, revealing Tuesday that it will integrate the format into its CPG 3D production workflow.
Co-developed by Dolby and Philips, the Dolby 3D format was initiated to support the creation, delivery and playback of glasses-free 3D content on TVs, smartphones, tablets or other mobile devices.
“James Cameron broke new ground in entertainment with his use of 3D in film, but it’s been a challenge to bring his vision to the home and to smartphones and tablets,” said Pace. “The Dolby 3D format gives filmmakers the means to bring an artistic vision through production and distribution all the way to presentation while delivering what we believe to be the best possible 3D experience to consumers -- without the need for special glasses.”
A new technical spec for Dolby 3D, which attaches playback information to content, is becoming available for licensing through an early adopters program. Dolby plans to publish the spec for wide use by year’s end and expects Dolby 3D-supported devices will become available “in the next year or two.”
Dolby and Philips also are aiming to standardize the Dolby 3D format with standards body Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.
Dolby believes glasses-free capabilities are needed to advance 3D. This week, the company is demonstrating the use of Dolby 3D technology in postproduction, distribution and playback at its NAB exhibition.
- 'Supreme Court: No Girls Allowed' Perfectly Parodies The Hobby Lobby Ruling
- Colbert Mocks Kim Kardashian's New Video Game, Introduces One Of His Own
- On 'The Bachelorette' Finale, We Learned That Sex Happens -- Even On Reality TV
- Micah McCain Dishes Up Bette Midler In 'Beaches' In Just Under 4 Minutes
- Dianna Agron Rocks Really High Hair for 'Headlock' Filming
- Benedict Cumberbatch Think His Evil Character Kahn Could Come Back for 'Star Trek 3'!
- Pregnant Zoe Saldana & Chris Pratt Strike the Sassiest Pose Ever at New York Stock Exchange!
- Colton Haynes is a Sexy Leather Stud for New Diesel by Nicola Formichetti Campaign