Oscar Crafts: A Big Night for 'Gravity'
"Gravity" won the majority of the crafts categories, while Catherine Martin took home a pair of awards for "The Great Gatsby."
It was a big night for Gravity’s artisans, who collected most of the Oscars in the crafts categories after a season during which the film effectively became the poster child for collaborative filmmaking.
Before accepting the Oscar for best director, Gravity’s helmer Alfonso Cuaron picked up his first Academy Award in film editing, which he shared with co-editor Mark Sanger.
Cuaron's longtime friend, director of photography Emmanuel "Chivo" Lubezki, won his first Oscar in cinematography. He had five prior nominations for The Tree of Life, Children of Men, The New World, Sleepy Hollow and A Little Princess.
The VFX Oscar was awarded to VFX supervisor Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk and Neil Corbould. The film's lead VFX house was London-headquartered Framestore. This was the second Oscar for Corbould, who previously won for Gladiator.
Gravity also collected Academy Awards in sound mixing and sound editing. It was the second Oscar for production mixer Chris Munro, who previously won for Black Hawk Down and was additionally nominated this year for Captain Phillips. The mixing team also included Skip Lievsay, who earned his fifth and sixth nominations this year for Gravity and Inside Llewyn Davis; and first-time nominees Niv Adiri and Christopher Benstead.
The Oscar for sound editing went to Glenn Freemantle; this was his second nomination and first Oscar. He was previously nominated for sound editing on Slumdog Millionaire.
Additionally, composer Steven Price won his first Oscar for best score for Gravity.
It was also a big night for double winner Catherine Martin, who won her third and fourth Oscars for costume and production design for her husband Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby. She previously won the same two categories for Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge. Also winning an Oscar in production design was set decorator Beverley Dunn.
Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews won their first Oscar for hair and makeup for Dallas Buyers Club.
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Ep. 12 Recap: 'Remember' Welcomes Team Rick To The Neighborhood
- Kendall Jenner's Throwback Bikini Photo Reminds Us The Winter Struggle Is Real
- Hollywood's Diversity Problem Starts At The Top, UCLA Report Finds
- Michael Jordan Fails Yet Again To Win 'Richest Person In The World' Title
- The Best Scene in House of Cards Happens in a Women’s Bathroom
- Veronica Roth’s Divergent Follow-up Will Be Star Wars–esque
- Ryan Murphy Gives Touching Speech, Reflects on Glee’s Legacy of Creating Acceptance Through Understanding
- Bob’s Burgers Did Its Own Game of Thrones Last Night, and You Should Be Thankful
- Cody Simpson to Co-Host Victoria's Secret PINK's Spring Break Bash with Gigi Hadid & Rachel Hilbert! (Exclusive)
- Patrick Schwarzenegger Braves Torrential Rain for Lunch with Miley Cyrus!
- Lily James & Cate Blanchett Look Picture Perfect at 'Cinderella' Premiere
- Mumford & Sons Announce New Album 'Wilder Mind' With a Brand New Sound!