Oscars: Crafts Nominees Share Their Reactions
THR talks with cinematographer Emmanuel "Chivo" Lubezki ('Gravity'), VFX supervisor Joe Letteri ('The Hobbit'), production designer Judy Becker ('American Hustle') and others.
Following Thursday's Oscar nominations, The Hollywood Reporter gathered reactions from many of those who made the list, which you can read here.
In addition to sharing their excitement, some of this year's crafts nominees discussed this year's work; below are excerpts from some of those conversations:
Joe Letteri, visual effects nominee for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, said he is seeing a change in perception about actors whose appearance involves CG, responding to a question stemming from the best actress nomination of Gravity’s Sandra Bullock, whose body, helmet and even the visor over her face are computer animated in all of the shots set in space. “You still recognize it’s her," Letteri said, "but in the space suit it was an animated character. It does show that you don't have to see the whole actor to recognize that there’s a performance there. It’s very clearly her face, and I think a lot of people associate performance with face."
On the VFX category as a whole, the four-time winner and eight-time nominee said, “The work is represented really well across the board. The Lone Ranger is interesting -- the work was really good [though the movie wasn’t a box-office hit]."
Emmanuel “Chivo” Lubezki, who earned his sixth Oscar nomination for Gravity, added that the work in the cinematography category is “amazing” and also “very varied."
“I don't know how people can pick one from the other," he said. "Cinematography is changing fast and the technology is changing fast. It’s going to keep evolving."
Judy Becker, production design nominee for American Hustle, observed of this year’s category: “The production design nominations tend to be movies that are either very deep period or very design-oriented. I expected to see the nominations go more in that direction. To see Her nominated was a wonderful surprise. That sort of quiet design is not often recognized. Mine was also a surprise.”
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting