'Star Trek Into Darkness' to Premiere at Dolby Theatre in Atmos
The event will be held nearly one year after the grand opening of the rebranded theater.
Nearly one year after the grand opening of the rebranded Dolby Theatre, the venue will host the anticipated May 14 Los Angeles premiere of Star Trek Into Darkness, which will be presented in Dolby Atmos sound and use the Dolby 3D system.
The grand opening in June was marked with the premiere of Disney/Pixar’s Brave, the first title mixed in the immersive new Atmos format. More recently, Obilvion debuted at the venue in Atmos.
The Atmos mix for J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness, which Paramount opens May 16, was helmed at Skywalker Sound by rerecording mixer Will Files, who worked on the Brave Atmos mix a year ago. Academy Award winner Ben Burtt -- who famously created the "voices" of R2D2 and WALL-E — was supervising sound editor.
Nearly 40 Atmos titles have been announced since the format was unveiled at CinemaCon in 2012. About 100 theater auditoriums worldwide now are equipped with Atmos as well as about 20 postproduction screening rooms.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!