Zeebox Asks Viewers to 'Get a Room' in New Contest
The promotion is aimed at building the second-screen app's social communities.
Zeebox is asking users of its second-screen app to “Get a Room.”
The “Get a Room” contest, announced Tuesday, is aimed at growing the use of “TV Rooms,” the newest feature within the app that allows users to create social communities around specific shows, stars or topics.
At the end of the four-week promotion, a $10,000 prize will go to the best room, based on popularity, quality and activities. Additionally, zeebox will give away $1,000 per day for the next 30 days to TV Room members who are creating buzz.
TV Rooms launched in June, and zeebox reports that since then, thousands of “rooms” have been created by both consumers and content owners. The TV Rooms platform also allows production companies, directors, producers and writers to create rooms.
Timed with the contest announcement are some TV Room launches, including BGC All Star Battle (Oxygen), Catfish: The TV Show (MTV), Days of our Lives (NBC), Degrassi (TeenNick), Futurama (Comedy Central), Keeping Up With the Kardashians (E!), Meet the Press (NBC News), RumorFix.com and TelevisionWithoutPity.com.
NBCU and Viacom are both zeebox investors.
Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, Jason Forbes, executive vp and managing director of zeebox in the U.S., said he believes TV Rooms has found a “sweet spot” in social media. “One of the challenges with Twitter is when you tweet it obviously goes to your whole Twitter base; for many people when they are watching TV, that is not how they want to engage. Many of your followers may not be aware that you are watching a TV show nor care about the comments that you are making."
He added: “TV Rooms allows people who are passionate about TV to chat and post links in the context of the TV Rooms that they are passionate about, and therefore connect with fans who are equally passionate about those shows."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Neon Hitch's New Single 'Yard Sale' - Listen Now! (Exclusive Premiere)
- Gwyneth Paltrow Steps Out in East Hampton for 'Hector and the Search for Happiness' Screening!
- Bradley Cooper & Sienna Miller Begin Filming Their Second Movie Together, 'Adam Jones'!
- Sam Heughan & Caitriona Balfe Are Picture Perfect at 'Outlander' Screening