Cobie Smulders in Final Negotiations for 'Avengers' Role
The "How I Met Your Mother" actress will play an agent of SHIELD in the Marvel Studios superhero ensemble movie from Joss Whedon,
Cobie Smulders is in final negotiations to take on a role in Marvel's The Avengers. Disney will release the superhero ensemble film, which is being written and directed by Joss Whedon, on May 4, 2012.
Smulders will play a key member of the espionage agency SHIELD, run by Nick Fury, who appeared in the first two Iron Man films in the guise of Samuel L. Jackson. Like Jackson, Smulders will have a slew of options on her for the character, which could extend through any number of other Marvel Universe film projects.
Heat Vision wrote about the screen tests for the role that Marvel conducted last week.
Smulder would join Scarlett Johansson (as the Black Widow), Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye), Chris Evans (Captain America), Mark Ruffalo (Hulk) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor). Avengers is scheduled to start shooting in late April.
Repped by UTA and ROAR, Smulders stars on the CBS series How I Met Your Mother.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)