EXCLUSIVE: Denis Leary to Join Spider-Man Reboot
Denis Leary is negotiations to play the father of Emma Stone in Columbia’s new Spider-Man movie.
Stone is playing the love interest of Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Andrew Garfield) and Leary will play police captain George Stacy, her father who frequently came into contact with the web-slinging superhero.
In Marvel Comics lore, Stacy perished in an accident during a battle between Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus, an event that led Gwen Stacy to hate the hero.
Columbia and director Marc Webb are keeping the James Vanderbilt and Alvin Sargent-penned script under lock and key so it’s uncertain how faithful to the core story Leary’s version of the character will be.
Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach and Laura Ziskin are producing the movie, which begins shooting in December.
WME-repped Leary hasn’t appeared in a theatrical movie since 2002’s The Secret Lives of Dentists, although he has been starring in the acclaimed drama Rescue Me since 2004. He appeared in HBO’s Recount and has continued to voice the character of Diego the sabertooth in the Ice Age movies.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?