Disney Putting on a 'Tiki' Mask
Disney is in early negotiations to pick up Tiki, a spec script from Ahmet Zappa and Michael Wilson that is set in the world of Polynesian mythology.
Zappa's Monsterfoot Prods. is producing in partnership with Scott Sanders Prods.
Initial rumblings had the project based on the Enchanted Tiki Room attraction at Disneyland, but that has been denied by Disney. It is possible, however, the attraction may have served as an inspiration to Zappa and Wilson, serving as a diving board for the duo to write their family adventure.
The attraction is one of Disneyland’s oldest, having been launched in 1963, riding the wave of America’s fascination with Polynesian culture and the Tiki lifestyle. The attraction was hosted by four macaws and even spawned a hit song.
Zappa and Wilson’s Tiki is set in Hawaii and takes in the culture’s rich reserve of unique gods, embodied by wooden masks and engravings, as well as ghost stories.
Zappa and Wilson previously collaborated on Monster Witness Relocation Program, which they sold to Disney with Monsterfoot producing with Will Smith’s Overbrook Entertainment. Zappa is also producing The Odd Life of Timothy Green, a Disney fable that will star Joel Edgerton and Jennifer Garner.
Zappa and Wilson are repped by CAA. Zappa is additionally repped by Anonymous Content.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?