Disney Gets Three-For-One With 'Cowboy Ninja Viking'
In an eyebrow-raising move, Disney has picked up the movie rights to Cowboy Ninja Viking, an action comic with Zombieland writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick attached to pen the script.
Mark Gordon, Management 360, and Wernick & Reese are attached to produce.
The players took out the script to studios earlier in the week with Disncey coming in late in the week to nab the package.
The reason the pick up is odd is that the comic, from writer AJ Lieberman and artist Riley Rossmo, features a violent action story centering around an assassin with multiple personalities.
From Image Comics' own description, Cowboy Ninja Viking "is the creation of Doctor Sebastian Ghislain, a psychotherapist who recruits Multiple Personality Disorder patients to produce a unit of counter-intelligence agents called Triplets. When they become out of control assassins? That’s when the deadliest Triplet of them all, Cowboy Ninja Viking, is called in to take down his own brethren."
WME-repped Reese and Wernick's became hot writers off of Zombieland. Since then, the duo have been tasked with coming up with a sequel, sold a pitch titled Earth vs. Moon, worked on the sequel to G.I. Joe, and most recently worked on the Deadpool script for Fox.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)