EXCLUSIVE: James Mangold to Direct 'The Gunslinger' for New Regency
James Mangold is heading back to the Wild West, though this time a modern incarnation of it.
Mangold, who most recently helmed Knight and Day and was behind the acclaimed remake of Western classic 3:10 to Yuma, is attached to direct The Gunslinger, a revenge thriller that New Regency is picking up from turnaround from Warner Bros.
Andrew Lazar is producing the project. Mangold’s wife and producing partner, Cathy Konrad, will also produce via the couple’s Tree Line Film.
Warners initially bought the spec, from John Hlavin (Underworld 4), in May 2009. Described as a contemporary Western, it centers on an ex-Texas Ranger who sets out to punish the men who killed his brother.
New Regency wants to move fast with Gunslinger and is eyeing a spring start. Navid McIlhargey will oversee for the company.
Knight and Day was ripped by some as an example of Tom Cruise’s waning star power, but while the movie was a mediocre performance domestically, it proved to be a hit around the globe, grossing $261 million worldwide.
Mangold is repped by CAA and Management 360.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)