TRAILER: Hugh Jackman in 'Real Steel'
DreamWorks has put out a first teaser for the Shawn Levy-directed drama about robot boxing.
DreamWorks has put out a first teaser for the Shawn Levy-directed Real Steel, a somewhat futuristic drama about robot boxing that will open in October. Hugh Jackman stars.
I imagine I'm not the only person who finds this trailer wanting. Back when the movie was being put together, the studio took pains to say that it's actually a story about a father trying to reconnect with his son. The movie on display here is a documentary about Rock'em Sock'em Robots. Unless that giant robot Jackman is training with in the trailer is actually the son.
Anyway, with Transformers already having taken robots to its logical extreme technology-wise, and boxing movies such as The Fighter, Million Dollar Baby, Girlfight, Raging Bull, etc. taking boxing seriously and realistically, this movie (on current evidence) looks lacking on both fronts.
Surely, the studio plans an ongoing trailer campaign that gets into the human drama and potential redemption story once the young dudes are hooked by all the broken, bashing metal. But those guys will only pay attention if the fighting looks cool. Which it doesn't here.
Am I wrong?
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)