'Troll 2' Star Seeks to 'Destroy' (Exclusive)
Michael Stephenson was the child star of the 1990 horror pic Troll 2, a movie so infamously bad, he used the experience to write and direct Best Worst Movie, about the film becoming a cult phenomenon. In a twist of fate, that documentary enabled Stephenson, 32, to produce and direct his first narrative feature, a dark comedy titled Destroy.
In Destroy, vampires don't exist, but that doesn't stop a well-intentioned would-be vampire hunter from leaving a trail of blood-splattered wooden stakes across Bavaria. But while he thinks he's saving the world, he is mistakenly murdering sweet, innocent old men.
Stephenson is directing and producing with Lindsay Stephenson, via the duo's Magic Stone Productions, as well as Jennifer Roth, one of the producers of Black Swan.
The script was co-written by Bryan Connolly and Zack Carlson, programmer of Austin's Alamo Drafthouse Cinema; Carlson and Stephenson became friends when Troll 2 played at Drafthouse.
Destroy will shoot in Eastern Europe and is in the early stages of casting.
"I was embarrassed by (Troll 2) my whole life," Stephenson says. "But now, a lot of good has come from being in one of the worst movies ever made."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)