'American Idol' Season 10: Katharine McPhee's Mom is a Vocal Coach
'Idol' exec producer Nigel Lythgoe reveals that the season 5 runner-up's mother Peisha is coaching this year's contestants.
A conference call with American Idol executive producer Nigel Lythgoe revealed that Peisha McPhee, mother to season 5's Katharine McPhee, is one of several vocal coaches working with this year's contestants. "She's on the show, and very, very talented," said Lythgoe.
Katharine McPhee, a native of Sherman Oaks, Calif., has often credited her mom with teaching her music's great standards. "I grew up with the American songbook," she said in a 2010 interview. "I know them so well because my mom was always singing those songs. If you look back to [my] season of Idol, I excelled in that area because the songs were so ingrained in me."
To that end, Season 10 hopefuls who wind up with McPhee as their coach should feel fortunate. Peisha McPhee trained her own daughter, who eventually made it to second place on Idol in 2006.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- Guillermo del Toro Unveils Comic-Con 'Pacific Rim,' 'Crimson Peak' Fan Experiences
- Jo Nesbo's latest page-turner, "The Son"...Elaine Stritch---The Great Fantasy Dinner Guest!
- Why 'Modern Family' Star Eric Stonestreet Refused A Photo With Rick Santorum