Clay Aiken Has 'No Desire' to Record 'Any Time Soon'
He plays coy on a report claiming he's been dropped by his label: 'I am focusing on my live show and heading out on tour this week for the next few months.'
Addressing rumors on Tuesday that he'd been dropped from another record label, American Idol alum Clay Aiken was cagey about the possibility of a second project with Universal's Decca Records, which released his fifth studio album, Tried and True, last summer.
"There is no upcoming album planned at this time," Aiken told The Hollywood Reporter. "I am focusing on my live show and heading out on tour this week for the next few months. The truth is, I have no desire to get back into the studio any time soon."
A rep for Decca was equally non-committal, saying only that she "didn't know of any plans at this time to release a future album with Clay."
The June 1, 2010 release of Tried and True -- a compilation of 1950s and 1960s pop songs -- sold only 63,000 copies according to Nielsen SoundScan, plus, 10,000 digital downloads.
Disappointing sales aside, Aiken may have in fact signed a "one-off" deal with Decca, a common contractual arrangement in which an artist renegotiates with a label on an album-to-album basis.
Avoiding specifics, Aiken kept the possibility open for further collaborations with Decca.
"There has never been a long-term label deal in place," he said, "but when there is new album to discuss, I will discuss it with the label."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Will Hillary & Bill Clinton's Daughter Chelsea Be Running for Office?
- Zac Efron Gives a Lap Dance, Admits to 'Plowing' Lots of Chicks in Comedy Central Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Miley Cyrus Will 'Remain Hospitalized' After 'Extreme' Reaction to Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Taylor Swift Steps Out for Ingrid Michaelson Concert in Brooklyn!