Fantasia Boycotted Grammys Over Aretha Franklin Tribute Snub
The "American Idol" champion won her first Grammy Award on Sunday night but didn't attend the ceremony because she wasn't asked to be part of the tribute.
NEW YORK -- After 11 nominations, R&B singer Fantasia finally won a Grammy on Sundayfor best female vocal performance, but the American Idol winner was not in attendance to accept the award. Why? Because she felt slighted that she wasn't invited to be part of theAretha Franklin tribute.Fanny called in to BET's 106 & Park on Monday and revealed to hosts Rocsi and Terrence how unhappy she was with the award show.
"I'm going to be very honest with you. You know I wasn't at the Grammys last night. I'm kind of going through my own little thing. ... Last night they were honoring someone who is my idol, Aretha Franklin, and there is no way I could have sat there and not got the happy feet and wanting to jump on the mic because she is my favorite so I felt like, you know, at the end of the day I should have been on that stage so, I kind of did my own little thing last night.
"I watched Cee Lo's performance, I love Cee Lo, love Gaga, watched Gaga, and I love Rihanna's performance, but I kind of cooked and did my own think last night and was in my own world and was hoping that I won. I have this feeling, like every year I go, I feel like they always look over some of the good singers that are still around and I'm not trying to be funny but that's just the way I felt."
Instead, Christina Aguilera, Yolanda Adams, Jennifer Hudson, Florence from Florence and the Machine and Martina McBride participated in the tribute.
When asked about her reaction to winning, finally, this is what Fantasia had to say:
"Actually I scared my daughter because I just bust out and started crying, and she thought something was wrong with me. You know it's been a long time coming... at the end of the day its been a long time coming for me and I have been through a lot of things so when Brian called me (my manager accepted the award for me), I just bust out started crying because I felt like, man, I wasn't gonna stop until I got one and I'm still not going to stop and you know this has just given me motivation to do my own thing. So, I just started crying and just thanking God that finally, eleven times nominated, finally I got one."
Fantasia won the award for "Bittersweet," a track off her latest album, Back to Me.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Chrissy Teigen's Optical Illusion Ensemble Is Making Us Do A Double Take
- Jon Stewart Mocks Media 'Chaos' Over Obamacare Ruling
- North West Takes Her First Steps, Kim Posts Adorable Picture After Swimming Lesson
- The Aquabats! celebrate their 20th anniversary at Comic-Con as they ponder the group's next move
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer Starring Shirtless Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson is Finally Here & It's Super Steamy - Watch Now!
- Jennifer Morrison Arrives On Set for 'Once Upon a Time' & It's Getting Us Pumped for Season Four!
- Karlie Kloss Reveals the Secret to Her Amazing Abs
- Juno Temple Grabs Lunch with Her Mom in NYC After New 'Horns' Poster Released