Welcome to 'Idol Worship'
The latest addition to THR's blog roll focuses on all things "American Idol."
Welcome to Idol Worship, your online destination for exclusive American Idol news, analysis, interviews and the inevitable rant or two. I’ll be your guide to this tenth season, a monumental accomplishment not just in the world of television, where the show continues to be a ratings powerhouse (even with 2010’s 17% drop), but also in the music business, where, to date, Idol affiliated albums have sold over 55 million copies. From Kelly Clarkson to Jennifer Hudson to Carrie Underwood, Idol alums have won Grammys, Oscars and so many country music awards that Carrie’s mom probably lost track. On the radio, Daughtry dominates the rock format, while Adam Lambert has made his presence known on pop stations coast-to-coast. Love it or leave it, Idol has had an amazing run, which producers, investors and new label partners Universal hope to continue with a new judges panel and a double shot of enthusiasm. We’ll be there to cover it every step of the way.
Of course, this milestone year also calls for reflection, so we’ll look back at past seasons of Idol, catch up with former contestants and answer some of your burning questions. Having previously covered the show for no fewer than five outlets (Us Weekly, Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, Billboard and the Los Angeles Times’ Idol Tracker, if anyone’s keeping track), I’m planning to bring to Idol Worship a few of regular features from over the years.
For example, expect to see the occasional “Fantasy Idol” post, a different guest blogger after each performance show, in addition to THR’s own recap and off-camera reporting. Here’s hoping Fox will facilitate a weekly trip down to the record store – Amoeba in Hollywood, ‘natch – so we can get to know the contestants’ musical tastes a little better. And plans are already underway for a new improved Ultimate Idol Ranking that will be revealed as the season wraps in May, not long after our sister magazine Billboard runs its annual tally of Idol sales.
Look, there are a lot of great Idol blogs out there who are on top of every move the contestants, judges and show creators make (MJs, Idol Chatter and Rickey, to name a few), and bless them for it. Idol Worship is not that -- it’s where both casual viewers and aficionados can come for curated coverage, criticism, a deeper read and lots of David Cook mentions. (Come on, you didn’t actually think I’d make it through an entire blog post without uttering the season 7 winner’s name once?)
So come along for another spin on the American Idol roller coaster -- a ride we all love but sometimes leaves us feeling a little queasy.
Follow us on Twitter at @Idol_Worship
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Music
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- Sleepy Hollow's Tom Mison & Nicole Beharie Take San Diego Comic-Con by Storm
- Chloe Moretz Wins Fans Favorite Actress Award at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Ian Somerhalder: 'The Vampire Diaries' Wins Best Threesome at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!
- Nikki Reed & Kellan Lutz Have a 'Twilight' Reunion at Young Hollywood Awards 2014!