Simon Cowell: 'The Biggest Failures I've Had Were When I Believed My Own Hype'
2:38 AM PST 1/25/2011 by THR staff
The acerbic judge also reveals that he was "thrown out" of a meeting with a major network when he first pitched 'Idol.'
Simon Cowell has revealed that he was once thrown out of a meeting with a US TV exec after pitching the format for Pop Idol, his first reality series.Encouraged by the overseas success of The X Factor, Cowell said Sunday on Oprah Presents Master Class that he and his former business partners, Simon Fuller and Simon Jones, met with an unnamed network years ago. "It was so bad that a minute into the pitch the guy said, 'No....'" he recalled. "He said you can leave now, and I said, 'So it sounds to me that you don't like the show?' And he said, 'Get out.' And I said, 'So should we come back next week?' And he said, 'Get out.' "We were basically thrown out of the network," Cowell said. "The good news is, it would never get worse than this." Fox went on to premiere American Idol in 2002. Cowell stepped down from the show last year to focus on a U.S. version of The X Factor (interestingly, the season 10 premiere, the first one without Cowell, dropped 13 percent from the 29.9 million people who watched last year's season debut). Cowell also got candid on his career, admitting his biggest failures (notably signing a failed girl group 12 years ago) have come when he has believed his own "hype." "You start living in this bubble, which is your world, and you start to believe that that's the only world that exists," he said. "Which is why most successful people screw it up for themselves normally within two, three, five, ten years. They stop listening. The biggest failures I've had were at a time when I believed my own hype."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Music
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game