ABC News' 'Nightline' Tops Jay Leno, David Letterman
For the first time ever, ABC News' Nightline is No. 1 in total viewership during a fourth quarter, with an average of 3.93 million tuning in.
Nightline beat the competition -- NBC's Tonight Show (3.88 million) and CBS' Late Show With David Letterman (3.6 million) -- in total viewers as well as in the key news demo of adults 25-54, with Nightline averaging 1.61 million vs. Tonight's 1.59 million and Late Show's 1.57 million, according to Nielsen data.
The ABC news program's ratings were up 16% in total viewers, 15% in adults 25-54 and 14% in the adults 18-49 demo (1.27 million) compared to the previous quarter.
Nightline is No. 1 among total viewers and in adults 25-54 season-to-date in its time slot. This is significant as it is the first time at this point during the season that the program has remained on top since 1993-94 when David Letterman started his late-night gig at CBS.
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot in TV
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!
- Britney Spears Details 'Sh-tty' Day in Video After Her Breakup