Ad buyers predict 'American Idol' fall from top spot
A survey of ad buyers predicted that the upcoming season of Fox's "American Idol" will be its last as the No. 1 show on television -- due to the departure of Simon Cowell.
MediaLife magazine asked ad buyers how many more seasons they believed "Idol" will remain the nation's top-rated show.
The majority predicted "Idol" would fall from adult demo leadership either this upcoming season or the one after that.
According to the survey, 21% think "Idol" will slip from its pole position this year, 36% believe this upcoming season will be its last. About 27% give it two more seasons. Only 11% think the show has three more seasons at the top.
The vast majority of the responders, 83%, said their favorite all-time judge on the show was Cowell, who will rule over Fox's new talent competition "The X-Factor" starting in the fall of 2011.
"Idol" has declined in the ratings the past few years and most predict that even with a radical judging panel shakeup, the show will slip again. Still, "Idol" is so towering it has quite a distance to go before its adult demo rating is below any rivals.
Other items from the survey: Most ad buyers agreed with Fox's decision to let Ellen DeGeneres leave the show, and believe Kara DioGuardi should not return as a judge.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Bryan Singer Addresses Sexual Abuse Allegations: They Are 'Outrageous' & 'Completely False'
- Elizabeth Banks Attends Screening for 'Walk of Shame', Wears Two Dresses!
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!