Americans Watch More TV As CBS Wins 2010 Ratings Race
CBS once again won the ratings race in 2010, while Fox again won the 18-49 demo as Americans watched more TV than ever last year, the New York Times reported Monday, citing Nielsen data.
Total viewing of broadcast networks and basic cable channels rose about 1 percent to an average of 34 hours per person per week, Nielsen found. And while a viewership shift from broadcast to cable continued, NBC as the fourth-rated broadcast network retained more than twice as many viewers as largest basic cable channel USA, the paper highlighted.
In a year-end recap, Nielsen also highlighted that eight of the 10 highest-rated telecasts of 2010 were football games. The two others were the Academy Awards and the premiere of Undercover Boss on CBS, which followed the Super Bowl.
Speaking of CBS: It won ratings among total viewers for 51 out of 52 weeks last year, with three of its new shows, Hawaii Five-0, Blue Bloods and Mike & Molly, landing in the top 20 for the year -- the only new shows to do so.
The biggest gainer on the broadcast side was Spanish-language network Univision, the Times highlighted. For 2010, it averaged a 1.5 rating among 18- to 49-year-olds and 3.7 million total viewers.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead