Biggest Sunday Prime NFL Overnight in 12 Years
Sunday's NFL game between the Philadelphia Eagles and the Dallas Cowboys matched NBC's highest overnight number ever for its Sunday Night Football Franchise.
The game delivered a 16.5 overnight household rating, which also ties as the best Sunday or Monday primetime NFL overnight in 12 years. NBC's coverage likewise improved on last year's game by 20%.
NBC easily won the night, with CBS in second place. CBS' lineup was both pushed off-schedule and inflated due to NFL overrun, though estimates say the finale of Amazing Race (11.7 million viewers, 3.5 preliminary adults 18-49 rating) will end up within 5% of last fall's closer.
In third, Fox aired a one-hour Family Guy holiday special (8 million, 4.0) that's sure to rank as a classic episode in the franchise. Family Guy was up 21% from its last original. Lead-in The Simpsons (7.3 million, 3.3) was down 21%, but at 9:30 p.m. Family Guy helped boost American Dad's holiday epsiode (6.3 million, 3.1) up 24% to a season high.
ABC's Extreme Makeover (8.6 million, 2.4) was up 9%, Desperate Housewives (11.5 million, 3.5) tied as the show's season low, and Brothers & Sisters (8.8 million, 2.5) rose 19%.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR