Britney Spears' 'Glee' episode hits series high; 'No Ordinary Family' opens strong
UPDATED: ABC's "No Ordinary Family" got off to an impressively strong start Tuesday night while Fox's "Glee" rose in the ratings to a series high thanks to its eagerly anticipated tribute to Britney Spears.
"Glee" drew 13.5 million viewers and a 5.9 adults 18-49 rating -- dominating the night, rising 5% from its mammoth premiere last week and scoring the pop-drama's biggest rating ever (yes, higher than the show's Madonna-themed episode).
"Glee" led into the second episodes of "Raising Hope" (7.1 million, 3.1), holding steady, and "Running Wilde" (4.5 million, 1.9), which widened the gap between the comedies, falling 21%.
Here's interesting factoid about "Glee" from the Fox ratings department: "This is the first time in 17 years that the highest-rated entertainment program of premiere week grew in Week 2 among adults 18-49 and total viewers (since Fall '93, 'Seinfeld')."
"No Ordinary Family" (10.7 million, 3.2) is ABC's biggest new series premiere this season and performed well airing against stiff competition from "Glee." It also more than doubled the premiere of "Shark Tank" in the slot last year.
Fox won the night. CBS was next, with the second rounds of "NCIS" (19.2 million, 4.1) and "NCIS: LA" (16.5 million, 3.7) demonstrating the sort of durability that CBS dramas are known for. "NCIS" was up a tenth with last week's debut, while "LA" improved 9%. The second season premiere of "The Good Wife" (12.8 million, 2.5), however, slipped 19% from last year.
ABC ranked third, with "No Ordinary Family" leading into "Dancing With the Stars" results show (17.3 million, 3.8), dropping 14%. The second week of "Detroit 1-8-7" (8.7 million, 2.1) was down 9%.
NBC had "The Biggest Loser" (7.2 million, 2.7), down 7%. At 10 p.m., "Parenthood" (4.8 million, 2.0) is on a worrisome trend, falling 20% to a series low.
The CW aired "One Tree Hill" (1.8 million, 1.0), rising slightly, and "Life Unexpected" (1.5 million, 0.7), steady.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game