'Daily Show' Beats Leno, Letterman for First Time
Comedy Central's The Daily Show just made some ratings history.
Jon Stewart's series just became the first late-night talk show since at least a decade ago to rank #1 in the adult demo for a full month average other than The Late Show or The Tonight Show.
Daily Show delivered a 1.0 adult demo rating for the month, compared to its broadcast rivals averaging a 0.9.
Also announced Thursday: for this first time since Leno's return to late night, Letterman has beaten his NBC rival in all the major talk show measurements. For the week ending Oct. 29 , CBS' Late Show topped The Tonight Show among viewers, adults 18-49 and adults 25-54.
Late Night Talk Shows – October 2010 (ranked on A18-49 Delivery, most current L+7 data):
1. "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" - 1.3 million viewers
2. "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" - 1.2 million viewers
3. "Late Show with David Letterman" - 1.2 million viewers
4. "The Colbert Report" - 900,000 viewers
5. "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" - 800,000 viewers
6. "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" - 700,000
7. "Jimmy Kimmel Live" - 700,000
8. "Chelsea Lately" - 650,000
9. "Lopez Tonight" - 450,000
UPDATE: Broadcasters fumed a bit at this claim. NBC counters that Comedy Central didn't include repeats in their measurement, and if you include encore telecasts plus originals the broadcasters are back on top. CBS says Comedy Central basically excluded a week of repeats, then compared their four telecasts to their five. All of this is wonk-speak for: There's a lot of ways to slice an avacado.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Grammy Nominees List 2014: Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, Justin Timberlake Among Honored Artists
- Grammy 2014 Nominations Include Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Jay Z And Kendrick Lamar
- Jay Z's 9 Grammys Nominations Top All Artists
- Drake's Grammys Nominations For Best Rap Song, Best Rap Album Take Focus Off Canceled Performance