Ed Asner cast in CMT comedy pilot
In addition, the network cast Liza Snyder ("Yes Dear") in a lead role on the show.
The two help fill out the cast of the project, which is executive produced by David Litt, Nina Wass & Eugene Stein.
Asner ("Up") will play the father of Joe (Tom Arnold), a gruff and outspoken man who's recently began dating after separating from his longtime wife.
If greenlit, the casting will represent a return for Asner to the medium that made him a household name in the 1970s. Asner was the star of two legendary TV hits, "Mary Tyler Moore" and its spinoff "Lou Grant."
Snyder ("Pay it Forward") will play Marine, Joe's smart and funny wife. She's repped by APA and Susan Smith Company; Asner is repped by Greene & Associates and Perry Zimel.
The project is part of CMT's scripted series push; the network ordered four comedy pilots earlier this year.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram