Ed Asner Returning to Primetime TV in CMT Sitcom (exclusive)
Can Ed Asner do for CMT what Betty White did for TV Land?
A seven-time Emmy winner, Asner is returning to primetime television in CMT's first scripted sitcom, "Working Class."
The "Mary Tyler Moore Show" and "Lou Grant" star is joining previously announced lead Melissa Peterman in the series about a blue-collar single mom who moves her family to a well-to-do suburb. Asner plays her misanthropic neighbor. The move is not entirely unlike TV Land striking ratings gold with its first comedy, "Hot in Cleveland," casting fellow small-screen legend White in a supporting role.
The move is Asner's first regular series commitment since NBC's "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" in 2006. He also was recently cast as Warren Buffett in HBO's telefilm "Too Big to Fail." The Green & Associates-repped actor was previously announced as having been cast in another CMT comedy pilot, "Regular Joe."
"We are thrilled to have the iconic Ed Asner join Melissa and our entire cast as we launch our first sitcom," said Brad Johnson, senior vp development at CMT. "Asner is synonymous with legendary television, and we know he will bring a classic comedic edge to our fresh family sitcom."
The 12-episode multicamera series will launch in January.
The "Working Class" cast also includes Steve Kazee, Patrick Fabian, Lachlan Buchahan, Courtney Merritt and Cameron Castaneda.
Fall TV Preview
What's Hot in TV
- Cersei's Major 'Game Of Thrones' Nude Scene Is Officially Going To Happen
- Kim Kardashian Takes Her Crop Top To The Next Level With A Deep V-Neck
- Famous Women Point Out Exactly Why Leaking Nude Photos Is So Very Wrong
- Melissa Rivers Confirms Mother Joan Is On Life Support, Thanks Fans For Their Kindness
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley & Jason Statham Grab Brunch in Malibu for Labor Day!
- Uma Thurman Joins Co-Stars to Premiere 'Nymphomaniac - Vol. II' at Venice Film Festival
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Hold Hands After Romantic Mexico Getaway
- Lady Gaga Reunites with Pet Pooch Asia at LAX Airport - Watch the Adorable Video!