Ed Asner Returning to Primetime TV in CMT Sitcom (exclusive)
Can Ed Asner do for CMT what Betty White did for TV Land?
A seven-time Emmy winner, Asner is returning to primetime television in CMT's first scripted sitcom, "Working Class."
The "Mary Tyler Moore Show" and "Lou Grant" star is joining previously announced lead Melissa Peterman in the series about a blue-collar single mom who moves her family to a well-to-do suburb. Asner plays her misanthropic neighbor. The move is not entirely unlike TV Land striking ratings gold with its first comedy, "Hot in Cleveland," casting fellow small-screen legend White in a supporting role.
The move is Asner's first regular series commitment since NBC's "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" in 2006. He also was recently cast as Warren Buffett in HBO's telefilm "Too Big to Fail." The Green & Associates-repped actor was previously announced as having been cast in another CMT comedy pilot, "Regular Joe."
"We are thrilled to have the iconic Ed Asner join Melissa and our entire cast as we launch our first sitcom," said Brad Johnson, senior vp development at CMT. "Asner is synonymous with legendary television, and we know he will bring a classic comedic edge to our fresh family sitcom."
The 12-episode multicamera series will launch in January.
The "Working Class" cast also includes Steve Kazee, Patrick Fabian, Lachlan Buchahan, Courtney Merritt and Cameron Castaneda.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Finds Wrestler Died Of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Final Trailer For 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past Is A Traveler Of Both Time & Space
- A Conversation with The Both's Aimee Mann & Ted Leo, Plus A Quick Chat with Dolly Parton
- 'True Detective' Meets 'The Family Circus' Is Pure Evil Genius
- Brant Daugherty & Ian Harding Support a Good Cause at the Road To Hope Charity Benefit!
- Leonardo DiCaprio Wrestles a Friend at Coachella & Loses Badly (Video)
- Lily Aldridge's Toned Tummy is Why You Should Hit the Gym Now!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Change Outfits for Australia Arrival with Prince George!