'Family Guy' to parody 'Return of the Jedi'
The show's cast completed a table read yesterday for a "Jedi" spoof script, which is tentatively titled "Episode VI: The Great Muppet Caper" (Ewok jokes never get old).
The animated hit's parody of "A New Hope" (which was titled, sort of confusingly at this point, "Blue Harvest," which is actually the production code name for the third film, "Return of the Jedi") was one of ... that parenthetical was so convoluted the start of the sentence is lost now, isn't it?
Do over: The animated hit's spoof of "A New Hope" was one of the show's all-time top-rated episodes and producer 20th TV sold the movie as a stand-alone DVD. For a studio, nothing beats having an episode so desirable that they can sell it solo, as it were, without needing to include the rest of the season.
The show's previously announced parody of "The Empire Strikes Back" is titled "Something-Something-Something Dark Side." Unfortunately, Fox won't air "Dark Side" until the fall. But with Carrie Fisher playing a recurring role on "Family Guy" as Peter Griffin's boss, there's some hope around the show's campfire that she'll do a voiceover in the "Empire" spoof (not as Princess Leia, since Lois plays Leia, but as another character...)
Here's a choice clip from the show's debut "Star Wars" spoof:
PREVIOUS: 'Trek' cast to reunite on 'Family Guy'
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama