Fox lowers 'American Idol' age requirement
Previously, contestants had to be at least 16 to appear on the show. The maximum age to try out for "Idol," 28, remains unchanged.
"A lot of young, talented people are now seeking careers and representation before they turn 16," said Cecile Frot-Coutaz, executive producer of "Idol." "Lowering the age limit allows us to tap into this talent pool."
Yes, if only the age limit was lowered sooner, "Idol" would have discovered Justin Bieber instead of, say, Lee DeWyze.
The announcement is the first of several upcoming changes for the show, which is expected to name a new judge to replace Simon Cowell and a new music director in the coming months.
Auditions begin in Nashville in July. Here's the "Idol" auditions schedule:
Cities Dates Venues
Nashville, TN Saturday, July 17 Bridgestone Arena
Milwaukee, WI Wednesday, July 21 Bradley Center
New Orleans, LA Monday, July 26 TBA
East Rutherford, NJ Tuesday, Aug. 3 IZOD Center
Austin, TX Wednesday, Aug. 11 Frank Erwin Center
San Francisco, CA Thursday, Aug. 19 AT&T Park
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
- Isabel Lucas & Jim Sturgess Bring 'Electric Slide' to Tribeca Film Fest!
- Sofia Vergara's 'Fading Gigalo' Threesome Scene: I Was a Little Nervous!
- Leighton Meester Enjoyed Easter Dinner with Husband Adam Brody - Find Out the Romantic Details! (Exclusive)
- Emma Stone Publicly Questions Boyfriend Andrew Garfield's Views on Femininity - Watch Now!