'Fringe' rises dramatically; 'FlashForward' sinks
UPDATE: ABC aired the "fall finale" of "FlashForward" (7.3 million viewers, 2.2 preliminary adults 18-49 rating) Thursday evening and announced the drama will return in March.
Normally you worry about a serialized show losing ratings momentum over such a large midseason gap. But given that the "FlashForward" inertia continued downward this week, slipping another 8% to a series low, perhaps hitting the re-set button in a few months with a new promotional push might actually help.
After, ABC aired a two-hour "Private Practice" (9.5 million, 3.2) and was up slightly from its most recent telecast despite not having a "Grey's Anatomy" lead-in.
CBS won 8 p.m. with "Survivor" (12.8 million, 3.9), which was the most-watched show of the evening, followed by repeats.
Fox's "Bones" (9.9 million, 2.9) and "Fringe" (6.9 million, 2.5) enjoyed their highest ratings in weeks. With "CSI" in a repeat and "Practice" instead of "Grey's" in the hour, "Fringe" jumped 25% to its biggest number since its season premiere.
NBC's comedy lineup rose across-the-board from its last all-original airing: "Community" (5.4 million, 2.2), "Parks & Recreation" (4.8 million, 2.1), "The Office" (8.1 million, 4.1) and "30 Rock" (6.2 million, 3.0). "Office" ranked as Thursday's highest-rated show, up 11% this week. "The Jay Leno Show" (4.7 million, 1.5) was steady. The CW aired repeats.
UPDATE: In the nationals, "FlashForward" sank even lower -- 2.1 rating.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot in TV
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!