'Guitar Hero': Reality show?
There was a spree of shows a few years back where cable networks tried to cover gaming tournaments like sporting events. For the most part, the efforts were pure fail. Magazine-style shows that covered video game news and reviews -- like G4's Attack of the Show -- turned out to be far more effective than watching sweaty gamers in button mashing tournaments. Maybe a reality show based on the massively successful Guitar Hero franchise will prove different, but the idea feels a bit trend-jumping and late to the game.
By Paul Bond
The worldwide hit video game "Guitar Hero" could become a realityTV show and/or a real-life concert tour, people familiar with thediscussions said Thursday.
"Hero" is from Activision Blizzard, a leading video game publisherthat is looking to turn some of its games into TV and filmproperties.
Activision's cross-platform interests don't end at "Hero" either;discussions are under way to turn the "World of Warcraft" and "Callof Duty" video games into movies.
"They are being talked about for the big screen," said one personwith knowledge of the details.
In an interview prior to Thursday's quarterly earnings conferencecall, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick wouldn't comment on themovie speculation. But asked about the "Hero" franchise he did say,"It might make for a good TV show or a good concert tour."
"Hero" and "Duty" in the first quarter were two of the Top 5best-selling franchises across all video game platforms in Europeand the U.S. "World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King" was thetop PC game, in terms of revenue, in the U.S.
Kotick added that video games, especially family-friendly "Hero,"are "capturing leisure time away from TV and film. Not that readersof The Hollywood Reporter want to hear that." MORE from this story here.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot in TV
- Christopher Nolan, Matthew McConaughey Surprise Comic Con With New 'Interstellar' Trailer
- Pedro Pascal Really Wishes He Were Still On 'Game Of Thrones,' Even In Small Part
- Morgan Freeman And Jimmy Fallon Talking On Helium Will Make Your Day
- Conversations with Billy Gilman, Ernest Ranglin, Mary Sarah and Gangstagrass' Rench, Plus Ben Jaimen's "Satellites" Exclusive