HBO ending 'Big Love' after next year
HBO's relationship with Big Love is coming to an end.
Next year's previously announced fifth season will be the last for the acclaimed polygamy drama.
The Emmy-nominated series will take its final bow the same year as Entourage, which the network is also wrapping up.
Big Love returns for its final episodes on Jan. 16.
The Big Love cancellation comes on the heels of TLC wrapping up the successful first season of its headline-making real-life polygamy show, Sister Wives.
From the release:
“It has been an honor and pleasure to work with series creators Mark V. Olsen and Will Scheffer on this unique and provocative series, and I’m happy that they will be able to bring the story to its close the way they always envisioned,” said Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming. “We look forward with great anticipation to collaborating with Mark and Will on their next venture.”
“When we created Big Love in 2002, we had a strong conception of the journey the Henrickson family would make over the course of the series, of the story we had to tell,” said Mark V. Olsen and Will Scheffer. “While we were in the writers’ room this year shaping our fifth season, we discovered that we were approaching the culmination of that story. Big Love has been our all-consuming labor of love for the past eight years. We are very grateful for HBO’s continuing support and for the collaborative effort of our partners at Playtone, our producers, our fine cast and our fellow craftsmen and crew for making this show the exceptional and joyful experience that it’s been. This coming January, we look forward to presenting our audience with the most vibrant and satisfying final season of a television series that we can produce.”
“Big Love has been a truly rewarding experience in every way for Tom Hanks and me,” said executive producer Gary Goetzman. “We’ve been so fortunate to have had such a tremendous cast over the five seasons, and we’ve never been less than amazed with their brilliance and willingness to take risks. We’ve thoroughly enjoyed our partnership with Will and Mark and have always been blown away by their storytelling abilities. We believe this final season of Big Love will be the best ever.”
More to come...
GENIUS LOST: ROBIN WILLIAMS
What's Hot in TV
- 'The Theory of Everything' Shines a Light on Stephen Hawking's Love Life
- Robert Rodriguez's Inspiring Speech Will Make You Proud To Be American
- Victoria Justice On Dealing With Cyberbullying, Fashion Inspiration And Her Advice To Teens
- James Franco's New Film 'Kink' Explores BDSM Community, Lifestyle
- Lena Dunham Felt So Much Joy Watching Andrew Rannells in 'Hedwig & the Angry Inch'
- Chris Martin Wears Fat Suit in Coldplay's 'True Love' Music Video - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Swings By Kari Feinstein's Style Lounge Ahead of Emmys 2014
- New 'Gotham' Trailer Gives Viewers a Grim & Exciting View of What's to Come!