'Hope For Haiti' telethon draws, and raises, millions
Also, the single "Hope for Haiti Now" is currently the top-selling iTunes album in 18 countries, the biggest one-day album pre-order in iTunes history.
The $57 million does not include donations by corporations, large private donors and iTunes sales figures, all of which are still being calculated.
"The public has set a new standard of giving for a relief telethon with 'Hope for Haiti Now,' and the donations continue to come in – people can still contribute 24/7 via phone, web and text," said Lisa Paulsen, president & CEO of the Entertainment Industry Foundation, the non-profit organization providing support for "Hope for Haiti Now."
The telethon may not have been a ratings smash for any one particular broadcast network on Friday night. But like relief donations themselves, modest viewership from many sources can add up to an impressive total number.
The telethon drew a collective 16.1 million viewers across six broadcast networks (and a 4.3 total rating among adults 18-49). ABC drew the largest broadcast audience of 4.6 million viewers (and a 1.2 rating). These early numbers do not include cable outlets such as MTV, CNN and VH1.
Donations are still coming in. To donate, go to HopeForHaitiNow.org or call (877) 99-HAITI.
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot in TV
- Failure, Alarms & After Parties: Chats with The Posies, Dry the River's Peter Liddle and Ghost Town's Kevin McCullough
- This Rapper Just Won The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge With Marijuana
- Emily Browning: If I Had Gotten That 'Twilight' Role, 'I Would Have Quit' Acting
- This Map Plots Where Your Favorite College Movies Were Filmed
- Sophia Bush Sends Congrats to Pal Aaron Paul For Emmy Win!
- Miles Teller on One-Night Stands: Don't Let Them Borrow Clothes Because 'You Will Not Get That Sh-t Back'
- Jennifer Aniston & Sandra Bullock Mock Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately' Finale
- Gerard Butler, Vanessa Hudgens, & Selena Gomez Sing Farewell to Chelsea Handler on 'Chelsea Lately'