Kara DioGuardi Named Judge on 'American Idol'-Inspired Show
The music exec, who left the Fox hit after two seasons, will star alongside Jewel in a 10-episode reality competition set to premiere on Bravo in 2011.
After being unceremoniously fired from American Idol, Kara DioGuardi has landed a new judging role on a similar music show, Bravo confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter Tuesday.
DioGuardi will rank singer-songwriters for a 10-episode reality competition called Going Platinum that is set to premiere in 2011. Jewel, who has guest-judged on Idol as well, will host and provide feedback.
The series, which will track 12 musicians as they face off in songwriting challenges and performances, was originally titled Hitmakers. The show will also chronicle the "personal drama" between the contestants as "they compete and live together," according to the network.
Who stays and goes will be determined by judges - more like Project Runway - instead of voters, like Idol. The winner gets a $100,000 cash prize, a publishing deal with Sony, a trip to BMI Songwriters' The Writing Camp and a recording deal with RCA/Jive, EW reports.
DioGuardi, who has written songs for Pink and Kelly Clarkson, said in a statement, "Hit songs are the backbone of the music industry, and as a publisher, nothing excites me more than finding new songwriting talent. I am happy to be a part of a show that helps up and coming songwriters pursue their dreams, while giving the public a look into the creative process."
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot in TV
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- What Apple's U2 Stunt Really Says About the Future of Music
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!